Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 AM

Default Feature Request & Poll: MIDI to EUCON patcher app !?

Hey everybody,

I'm using three Artist Mix units and one Artist Transport.

I've always found controlling Pro Tools with the Artist Mix (button controls) pretty bulky in general with navigating through its modes - and especially regarding the tedeous way of getting to a particular Aux through multiple page button presses and then flipping faders in order to have either the 10 auxes of the selected track on the first 10 faders or a particular send on my faders for every track...too much thinkwork and button combinations needed in my opinion...

So I've found a pretty nerdy solution by having my studio tech guy put reed relays in parallel to all of the buttons of one Artist Mix unit which I now can control via MIDI using an Arduino-based MIDI controller.

Using the coolest control software on the planet (ControllerMate ) and X-Keys custom USB keyboards I now can program even macros that are getting me to let's say "Send D" on all tracks on the faders in one press of a button.

But in general I would really dig a tool that would open up a whole new universe for Eucon users: An app - or maybe just as another part/tab of the EuControl Utility - that could

a) assign at least MIDI notes to Eucon commands in a patch table or

b) - as a more advanced version - also offers macro programming....but as I said already, that can be done very comfortably with tools like ControllerMate (don't know a similar tool for PC)

Like this one could use any MIDI button controller, keypad or drumpad etc for very flexible workflows - just as softbuttons...

Any votes for that as a feature request ????!!!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Feature Request & Poll: MIDI to EUCON patcher app !?

Never will happen.

You are asking for Eucon features to be available via MIDI. That's a strict no-no for anyone using Eucon development kit and definitely not something Avid will implement because it opens others up to sell MIDI controllers that can functionally do Eucon.

The whole functionality of Eucon is to sell Avid hardware controllers which is why no one else can make a Eucon hardware controller though it is free for developers to integrate Eucon into their software/audio interfaces. Controlled by Eucon: fine. Controlling Eucon: only Avid.
You are asking for a backdoor that would allow MIDI in as a controller.

You should look at the Dock/Control app. I think that provides you the functionality and features (especially macro) that you are looking for.
And Avid would be happy to sell you one.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Yes. I can see your point. And I'm very (and painfully for decades now) aware of Avid's isolated product policy in general.
But it's not really true what you state. By just opening the door a tiny bit for mapping MIDI notes to Eucon "commands" - and not the whole protocol of "live" data streams inside Eucon - it still would not be possible to setup a fully functional MIDI (for example fader-) controller that would be a full substitute for Avid's own controller units....it's just about custom remote controls for soft button applications...
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Auer View Post
By just opening the door a tiny bit for mapping MIDI notes to Eucon "commands" - and not the whole protocol of "live" data streams inside Eucon - it still would not be possible to setup a fully functional MIDI (for example fader-) controller that would be a full substitute for Avid's own controller units....it's just about custom remote controls for soft button applications...
A tiny door is still a door.
And it's not just about the faders.
The Dock is 95% not about faders but buttons, for instance. Soft buttons.
And there's the free Control app.

A missed sale is a missed sale for something that is not charged separately for. They can't open that door.
Something like Stream Deck could eat a bunch of potential Dock sales if they made soft keys available via MIDI, for instance.

Think of it this way -- you are still using the Transport. So I'm also guessing you didn't but those Mix units recently either. So there's been many years of development work that you (nor I since my Mix, Dock, and S3 were bought years ago now) haven't contributed to paying for. Only those new sales have continued to pay in each time an S6 or Dock is sold, for instance. Cut off a fraction of those sales and development will be dead.

Maybe better to ask Avid to introduce a cheap 8 button softkey unit as a standalone Eucon remote. A high volume, low cost seller.
Or at least port a limited version of the Control app that could be used on phones or small tablets (and more than one could be added to a Eucon system as you can't do that with the Control.app) Could functionally be a remote with softkeys (and usable by multiple people in the room like managing headphone mixes for an artist)
Old 05-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Yup. As I told you - I perfectly see your point - and I think you're right....but why not trying to tell them...?