Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Avid

Default Re: Artist Mix: Pan knob not functional

Have you tried switching the knob tops over ? The knobs are conductive, then the shaft of the encoder down through the base to the circuit...then to an IC which reads the touch. It could be any of those that has failed. If switching knobs doesn't help you may have a faulty encoder. I'll know more on Tuesday.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:32 AM

They just pull off? I wouldn't want to do damage to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Avid

Yes they pull off.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 AM

Cool. I'll try it.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Same result. No 'touch' readout on that knob with the top removed but if I hold the control knob and press, I get the 'touch'

Old 04-19-2018, 03:26 PM

Hey fellows !
Having the same issue - here it's the "pan" knob of channel 2 on an Artist Mix (Avid version).

The behaviour is as follows (partially as described here before):

- Hardware test works with turning the knob (no odd values or reverse things happening), same with pressing the switch, but NO simple touch message received when just touching the knob with the finger tip.

- When used with a DAW (tested with same results in Pro Tools 12 and Cubase 9.5 here) in "normal" channel mode the pan is not working when turning the knob - only pressing it resets pan to middle position ! Turning alone has no effect though. BUT: Flipping the channels DOES make the knob turn change the volume of channel 2......

Strange, strange, folks.....

Anything new happened in your cases ?

Best regards,

Uli

@sixstringbob: What do you mean by "holding the control knob and press"....?

Another EDIT:

Just found out that (in DAW use) if I have the channels filpped and the rotary knob is controlling the volume the dB value is not shown on the channel's OLED display ! Which is true for the other channels.....May be a hint that it could be crucial for correct data transmission to have the "touch" part of the data being sent, too while turning the knob.....since this doesn't seem to work on this channel that might be the problem.....but really strange behaviour anyway....
Old 05-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringbob View Post
Same result. No 'touch' readout on that knob with the top removed but if I hold the control knob and press, I get the 'touch'

Hey im having the same problem with my Avid Artist Mix. Pan Knob 1 dose not work properly when using it to adjust settings and also hardware test shows the touch function is not working. Only on pan knob 1 everything else works to my knowledge. Did anyone on here ever come up with solution or anything worth mentioning about this issue?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Another User here with the same problem, Avid version Artist mix channel 3 Pan silver rotator displays fully functional in test mode, utterly dead in Eucon with Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Auer View Post
Hey fellows !
Having the same issue - here it's the "pan" knob of channel 2 on an Artist Mix (Avid version).

The behaviour is as follows (partially as described here before):

- Hardware test works with turning the knob (no odd values or reverse things happening), same with pressing the switch, but NO simple touch message received when just touching the knob with the finger tip.

- When used with a DAW (tested with same results in Pro Tools 12 and Cubase 9.5 here) in "normal" channel mode the pan is not working when turning the knob - only pressing it resets pan to middle position ! Turning alone has no effect though. BUT: Flipping the channels DOES make the knob turn change the volume of channel 2......

Strange, strange, folks.....

Anything new happened in your cases ?

Best regards,

Uli

@sixstringbob: What do you mean by "holding the control knob and press"....?

Another EDIT:

Just found out that (in DAW use) if I have the channels filpped and the rotary knob is controlling the volume the dB value is not shown on the channel's OLED display ! Which is true for the other channels.....May be a hint that it could be crucial for correct data transmission to have the "touch" part of the data being sent, too while turning the knob.....since this doesn't seem to work on this channel that might be the problem.....but really strange behaviour anyway....
Old 09-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Avid

This is usually the touch not working on the encoder. Replacing the encoder usually fixes it.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 AM

YES. I also replaced the (raw) pan pot on the printboard - now it works again.....
So the working "TOUCH" message in the test mode doesn't seem to be a reliable indicator of the encoder as such is working properly....