How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2019, 09:22 PM

Default Setting up ASIO to play multiple programs

Hello,
After using pro tools for about a year now I've decided to try to tackle on of my biggest problems with the program: the fact that as soon as pro tools starts up all other sources of audio on my PC are disabled. This makes it really inconvenient to listen to samples or reference material. After unchecking the box in my windows audio settings that grants programs exclusivity to my sound card, pro tools no longer disables other sources of audio on startup, however now pro tools is completely silent. I've been scouring the internet for info and I'm still completely baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Setting up ASIO to play multiple programs

This question has (kind of) been answered here on DUC before. You really need to get off ASIO4ALL and onto a proper multi-client ASIO driver and audio device.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384375

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-27-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This question has (kind of) been answered here on DUC before. You really need to get off ASIO4ALL and onto a proper multi-client ASIO driver and audio device.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384375
I'm aware of that, I'm actually trying to use flexasio which I was told works but to no avail. Like I said, I've been searching the internet for a proper ASIO driver and setup instructions but haven't found anything useful
Old 12-27-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej17 View Post
I'm aware of that, I'm actually trying to use flexasio which I was told works but to no avail. Like I said, I've been searching the internet for a proper ASIO driver and setup instructions but haven't found anything useful
What do you mean? (well I assume you don't, you have not actually said what sound sound card/chipset you have... but it's unlikely to support ASIO). You don't have an ASIO device... so by definition there is no ASIO driver for it. That other thread should have been clear. Stop messing around and go get a real ASIO interface, which will come with an actual vendor supplied ASIO driver... you can check if the vendor's drivers are multi-threaded or not. But even then the usual advice here will be that you dedicate that ASIO device to Pro Tools and use the Windows sound card for other applications.