Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT7 and midi timing?

Quote:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...&Number=859853
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...&Number=847170
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...&Number=816510
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...&Number=848469

Quote:
If you can point me to the specific thread you're referring to, I'll take a look at it.
And please, pay attention on issue I`ve descibed above - major for me.

Thank you
Eugene - which version of Pro Tools are you running and what RTAS instruments are you getting stuck notes with? What versions of those plug-ins are you using?

As you'll note from those other posts - we aren't ignoring any of this. We acknowledged there were problems and we have been working on them. Some stem from 3rd party plug-in integration, some were in Pro Tools and none of them were/are a quick, easy fix.

I'm curious if you're having the stuck note problem in Pro Tools 7. Also, MIDI Beat Clock looping should also work properly now.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM

I`m on 6.9 now. I`ve rised these questions because I wanted to upgrade to v.7, but I wanted to be sure they`re fixed at last. I`ve had these issues since I`ve upgraded from LE to HD. I use latest versions of ALL plugins I have. But I cannot upgrade all of my hardware synths and samplers, anyway. And midi notes are hanging there too!!! Who`s fault is it? I guess its Protools'.
All I ask is: when? Don`t you think Digi have to make additional 6.9 CS update that will fix it?

And what about issue I`ve discribed here? Are you aware of it? Is it worth to wait for fixing?

Thank you
Old 12-15-2005, 05:54 PM

I just installed Kontakt 2 on my PT rig as an RTAS plugin just for the hell of it (normally run as a standalone on another computer) and, good lord! Each hit comes in way b4 the midi note. I took ADC off, put it on and no difference - it's like a 1/16th note b4 the actual MIDI note at 120bpm. Is that what you guys are talking about???? If so, how could you even come close to using MIDI in PT as a pre-production tool? Is something amiss in my system?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:11 AM

I totally had the same problem in pt 6.4. Each audio pass could differ by 200 samples.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 AM

Since it's being discussed ....

From my own experience, PT7 still has some MIDI issues.

Aside from the phenomena Nikki has reported, I consistently find that PT does not record incoming MIDI correctly. If I run quantized 16ths out of a separate machine and record them into a ProTools session, every couple of bars a note is either recorded late, truncated, or held for too long. I've reproduced this a hundred times with identical results, using any of a half dozen or so MIDI interfaces.

Importantly: the issue goes away if the ProTools session is reduced to just a single MIDI track or instrument - then it records MIDI perfectly . ie. ProTools CAN record MIDI accurately , but only in a stripped down session. As soon as you have a proper session with busses, aux inputs etc., PT seemingly stutters every couple of bars when recording, or responding to MIDI (if say you have a plugin instrument armed and responding in realtime to incoming MIDI). If you have a very complex session with plugins as well, the regularity of misrecorded notes increases.

AFAIK, Digidesign are aware of the issue and hopefully are still looking at getting it resolved. I'm running PT7, HD4 Accel.

Jules
Old 12-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Since it's being discussed ....

Importantly: the issue goes away if the ProTools session is reduced to just a single MIDI track or instrument - then it records MIDI perfectly . ie. ProTools CAN record MIDI accurately , but only in a stripped down session. As soon as you have a proper session with busses, aux inputs etc., PT seemingly stutters every couple of bars when recording, or responding to MIDI (if say you have a plugin instrument armed and responding in realtime to incoming MIDI). If you have a very complex session with plugins as well, the regularity of misrecorded notes increases.

Jules
This is exactly what I was trying to describe. Thank you Jules.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:12 AM

Hei DIGI you're still workin hard on this issue, isn't it?

I'm sure there's a lot of pepople waiting for a CS.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:47 PM

I`ve upgraded to v.7 a week ago. Besides of its great new features (thanx Digi!) I found my favourite midi timimg issue (recording in complex session, detailed described above by Trailerman)!
Dear Digi! Can you please confirm:
1.you are aware of it
2.you understand what we are talking about and able to reproduce it
3.you are working on the soonest cs fix

Just to make it clear.
Thank you very very much
Old 02-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
If I run quantized 16ths out of a separate machine and record them into a ProTools session, every couple of bars a note is either recorded late, truncated, or held for too long. I've reproduced this a hundred times with identical results, using any of a half dozen or so MIDI interfaces.
Jules
Just so I get this straight, are you saying that your sequencing midi on another PC/Mac and running a midi clock from PTs to the other machine?
If you are the only thing I could say from my experience is Ive not once had a high degree of success doing this on any systems I have used. I would have fifteen years ago but with all our technology these days it seems syncing two computers via midi clock can be a bit hit or miss at least in my experience. Interestingly my best success was using an Atari to do my externl midi stuff but this was in the days when PTs midi was very limited. Im just thinking that maybe a problem like isnt solely digis fault.

Aplogies if I have misinterpreted your post.

Im reading this thread with interest as Im about to start using PT7 midi much more so the problems some users are experiencing have got me a little concerned. Is there anyone having no trouble at all with PT7 midi?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Hey Eugene, am I to understand that using a VST version of an RTAS instrument (kontakt) with the fxpansion adapter will result in much more accurate playing? I think their release of v.2 is pending and will support PT7. Thanks.