Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 AM

Default Question for those who've had faders replaced

So I have a 24 Channel D-Command ES that has a couple of "non touch sensative" faders (although they respond to automation written on the track), and have gone through all the typical "cycle test for 30-40 minutes", power cycle, console reset, fader recal, etc, and was curious before I contacted Digi if anyone who has replaced faders could tell me if it is as easy as it looks to pull out the "8 fader" plate.

We had someone come service a different ICON in our studio and when he had to pull the upper rotary bank, he had to undo screws from the sidea as well if I remember correctly.

Since this is in an Argosy Mirage, I'm hoping its just a simple loosen the 5 Allen screws and the plate assembly will just lift out. Also can someone confirm that the earlier ES' were using a different fader than the current ones. We got this one pretty soon after the ES's were released, and am just curious if Dig does indeed say we need to replace the faders, if the new ones have a different "feel"??

Thanks for any insight!!

JC
Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Question for those who've had faders replaced

The fader plate is Much easier to remove than the encoder panel, you have to be careful not to pull or foul the cables obviously but it's pretty easy and you don't have to remove the side/front or base just the countersunk hex screws on the top. I've got a D-Control and I did hear they'd changed the D-Command faders but no idea whether they feel different.

Pete
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM

So if it is JUST out of warranty, would there be any dangers with having our studio tech open it up carefully and see if everything is seated firmly etc, or would it be best to call for a certified Digi repair...

At this point I'm at a loss because one of the 2 offending faders will respond to the touch test after about 30 minutes of cycle test for about 3 seconds and then revert back non touch... they are both in the same bank of 8.

Any other ideas??
Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM

To be honest (and I assume no responsibility for this!) in my opinion if they're troublesome swap them. The D-Command ones are much cheaper than the D-Control ones and I'd be very surprised if the FMC board connectors are loose. Once you've got the thing open it's as easy to swap the faders. It may be worth the cost of getting a Digi tech in if you're uncertain, when I swapped one fader I did it myself, when I had to do 16 once I got someone (the excellent Joffrey) in to do it for me (I'm my own part time tech!).

Pete
Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Believe it or not, I find that sometimes simply removing the fader caps and replacing them firmly can make a difference in some instances where touch sens is a problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 PM

I had a bank of sticky and non-touch responsive faders... took them out very easily, and was able to take the faders themselves apart, cleaned and lubed everything (with pure silicone) put it all back together and it worked great... you wouldn't beleive the piles of black gunk that came out of the fader. 8 fader took me about an afternoon...
Fairly easy with basic tool, just remember how those faders go back together!

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Sydney View Post
Believe it or not, I find that sometimes simply removing the fader caps and replacing them firmly can make a difference in some instances where touch sens is a problem.
Unfortunately they are acting up even with the caps removed, so that's what makes me thing there is a deeper problem...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM

I exchanged all 8 faders myself, and under guidance via phone from Chris L. He mentioned that some conductive strips had been improved on the new faders, but I don't know if these are the ones on the new ES's.

There are screws on the top and on the side that has to be removed, but it's no big deal. Be careful, and you should be golden.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 PM

I can't seem to locate replacement faders for the D-Command in the online store, just Pro Control and C24, even though there is an answerbase article that says they are available.

Guess I'll open a Customer Support Case... anybody remember roughly the cost??
Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM

So just got of the phone with Digi tech support, and thought I'd report here, for others in the same boat.

D-Command Fader "New Type" K Series Part #9750-60127-00

$105 each