Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 AM

Default Can i use 4 ins/outs/ as hardware sends?

I have outboard gear that i would like to use more of when mixing a song. My question is, can i somehow route the output of my DB-25(Ch 1+2) to be used as normal line outs? I would ideally like to use ins/out 1-4 as hardware inserts, rather than buy another AD/DA converter that matches the quality of the Omni..i have only been able to use 3-4 as inserts. I can get sound and monitor ch 5-6 for my monitors but cant seem to change the routing to let me assign Monitor Stereo 1-2 for Line outs..
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Can i use 4 ins/outs/ as hardware sends?

You can make any of the outputs line outs as long as they are not designated as monitor outs. The easiest way would be to make outputs 7-8 your stereo monitor path (change this in the hardware setup monitor tab). Then, select under the Analog Out tab, "TRS mirrors" and select 7-8.

This way you can just use the TRS outs for your monitors, which are now coming from 7-8, and this frees up outputs 1-4 as line outputs, which can come back into inputs 1-4 so you can use them as inserts.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the help. i tried out what you suggested but i still cant select channel 1 or 2 for inserts. When i look at the Main Tab, i still have Monitor 1-2 for channel output 1-2..Is there anyway to change this labeling? Then maybe it would let me select 1-2 as inserts?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 PM

In the actual monitor tab, make sure to actually drag the "L, R" boxes from 1-2 to 7-8. After you've made these changes, you may need to go to the I/O menu, and click "default" in all 4 tabs (input, output, inserts, busses) for it to update everything.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM

I have also done what you suggested, but it still doesn't allow me to select 1-2 as hardware inserts..

Im thinking of just getting a legacy interface off ebay..i have looked into the Lynx etc, but they are pricey and i still see many, many major studios still using the legacy hardware..

I would be using an analog card/not digital..
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Not often I have to ask a pro tools question, but this one has me stumped!

I also have an Omni (with HD Native). I've got 3/4 going as inserts fine.

I've got LR under "7/8" in the monitor tab, I've got TRS mirroring 7-8, monitoring is working fine.

Under the "outputs" stage, I CAN'T move "monitor 1-2" from the 1st slot, nor can I choose anything other than "stereo monitor 1-2" from the top selection.

If you look at the other outputs, I can choose "output 1-2" fine there, but Analogue 7-8 is greyed out (with the tag "monitor" alongside it.

When playing back, the meters show activity on outputs 1-2 (as well as 3-4 for my existing insert).

I can't see exactly what's going wrong here..can provide screen shots if that's easier! Thanks for any help....
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 AM

You have to make changes on the "Monitor" tab first, then set your Inputs/Outputs as desired...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You have to make changes on the "Monitor" tab first, then set your Inputs/Outputs as desired...
Yeah...that doesn't fix it. Already tried that before I posted.

Partial solution - I've managed to get the outputs working to the insert, in the hardware tab....not getting anything returning yet, might be a connection issue.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 AM

Psycho Monkey,

I think I've finally figured this out and got this working, but I'll have to get back later (perhaps tonight) with the details, as I'm short on time.

It's confusing the way they implemented it.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Psycho Monkey,

I think I've finally figured this out and got this working, but I'll have to get back later (perhaps tonight) with the details, as I'm short on time.

It's confusing the way they implemented it.
Cool - let us know when you do!

For me, it might just be the return path...ie dodgy leads or something!