Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Default Slate Trigger Midi Not Sample Accurate

Been using this for a few days, and I'm noticing flamming compared to an original kick or snare track. I never use the plugin as a live trigger device, rather choosing to use MIDI notes that I line up to the original kick or snare manually, sample accurately. Despite this, some notes are still flamming randomly. I've even recorded the output of the plugin to a new track to see what's happening, and it appears that some hits are even AHEAD in time...and some are late - how is this even possible? I've tried it with ADC on, or off, same problem either way.

Anyone else having issues with this? Never had these problems with BFD 2.0 or Battery (had other problems, which is why I tried Trigger).

Thanks,
Sig
Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Slate Trigger Midi Not Sample Accurate

Here's a few screenshots - top track is the original, then the midi, and the bottom is the recorded sample to a new track. You can see how it randomizes it...?

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/screen...curacy%201.png

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/screen...curacy%202.png

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/screen...curacy%203.png
Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Why you using via midi, if you have the original sound, audio trigger works perfect.
Use trigger all the time:
Old 06-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Triggering live is not accurate either...I tried that - we're talking fast sporadic music here. Not that I would have expected EVERY single kick and snare hit to be accurate anyway.

MIDI should be far more accurate if you're lining up each hit manually...and it is clearly not. If anything MIDI should work, don't you think? Why make it an option in the plugin if it doesn't work...
Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm wondering if this is the MIDI accuracy problems everyone's been talking about for awhile...I haven't followed this in some time, but just assumed it had been fixed since version 9.0 - am I correct or not?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 AM

Trigger is supposed to trig on audio... why bother to make a MIDI track and then trigger...make absolutely no sense.. MIDI is not as accurate as audio.

I have no phasing problems with trigger on 8.1.1 / 10.6.7 /Mac Pro 6core /PCIe HD2.

Trigger is the best sounding, most accurate triggering , easiest to use drumreplacement tool outthere.

Wait a minute... are you using Trigger Live on stage with Live mode ? Then the plugin is not as accurate as the other mode which introduces some more latency within the plugin but as PDC fix it there is no problem when mixing and it is perfectly accurate.

Skip the MIDI idea though.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 AM

Siegfried,

Hi. Sent you a reply over on the other thread.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=273382&page=12

Cheers

Steve Bush
http://music180.com/pros/5887
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 AM

I totally agree that midi is not as accurate as audio, for triggering or anything else, unless it is time stamped. Some plugin makers implement this and some don't. I use Trigger in audio mode all of the time and it is absolutely sample accurate. The way that I checked this is by using Massey's DRT to creat triggers, check to make sure that they are all totally accurate and line up the ones that aren't, and then tell DRT to create audio clicks which I use as audio triggers. If you zoom in to sample level, after printing the samples, if you compare them to the audio clicks they are all dead on. Works like a charm.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 AM

As I said before, fast and sporadic music. 32nd triplet bass drums, blast beats, metal. That kinda stuff. I use MIDI because it's more accurate, and there's no flamming of hits and no loss of low end on certain kicks. This is what Trigger sounds like with fast music. Not to mention being able to build in my own dynamics with velocity. Straight up rock n roll, sure, Trigger is the cat's meow and works as advertised.

I may have to play with the audio clicks idea out of Massey though to make this work as intentioned. Just force of habit, having used MIDI notes for the past 8 years...

Does it seem odd that plugins like Battery and BFD2 are sample accurate with their MIDI and Trigger can't be made to work like that though?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Alright well it's a bit of a workaround but I have a cool solution. I created the massey DRT "click" sound as an audio file, then after creating the MIDI notes with the proper dynamics and notes, used Battery to trigger that click sound and bus it to an audio track. Use that trigger track with Slate's Trigger and voila. Not a whole lot more work really, and no MIDI worries then.

The awesome thing is that HEAT now works on these Trigger tracks, whereas when kept as an instrument track it's inactive!

Thanks guys!
Sig