How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Avid

Default Real Amps Cranked - New Blog

From time to time we get various discussions on the DUC about ghost notes, swirl, speaker breakup or other aspects of amp tone, so I wrote a blog with a number of audio examples of real amps to provide a little bit more of a reference point. You know how they say, a wave file is worth a thousand words.

http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid...s-cranked.aspx
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Real Amps Cranked - New Blog

Very good and informative blog! Theres a lot to be said about an isolated cranked up amp, and the clips said pretty much everything. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Very cool. Thank you!

It's great to hear a fairly definitive example of 'ghost notes' - I thought that's what they were, I now I know for sure!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Hi Chris,

That's really great, thanks. What guitar, pickups and pickup position(s) were used?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Avid

I think a variety of guitars were used. The guitars were chosen to match the style being played (Strats for the SRV/Hendrix-ish stuff, etc). Not sure about pickup positions.

And I should mention that the mic used on all clips was an SM7.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Nice to see you back on hear Chris. Hope you guys are back to working on some eleven rack stuff. Loading impulses would be awesome.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for doing this Chris

You are 100% right, its all about context in the mix. I think alot of people would be surprised at what a raw guitar track that is used on a commercial release really sounds like solo'd and without any other processing (eq, dynamics, ect...)

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM

now that is the sounds im so used to..
Shame 11R cant do that though...(or any modeller)
Unfortunatly becasue amp breakup is all natrual and unjustified, if its moddeld it needs allgorythms, and that means its digital, and digital means its going to sound fake, and therfore it does.!

One day, maybe in the next 5 years or so we can get true representation of tones. - but for now, they are all convienient (modellers).

I work with real amps in this way every day in my studio, and we have tried 11R, axefx, Kemper if the client wants choice.. can get close, but never ever the same...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Thanks for doing this Chris

You are 100% right, its all about context in the mix. I think alot of people would be surprised at what a raw guitar track that is used on a commercial release really sounds like solo'd and without any other processing (eq, dynamics, ect...)
i wish i had pictures from a record i worked on for atlantic a few years back. 5-4x12 cabs and a 2x12. 5 of them being fed from various marshalls and the other from a matchless. the split was with a radial jd-7. gobo's between each cab and 5-8 microphones on each with also some scattered out room mics.

it was hell to keep track of and if i needed to tweak 1 mic it was a bit awkward to find that "1" mic. we went through all of this to find the best couple mics on each cab then down to the best couple cabs! but in reality a lot of the albums i have worked on have really good sounding gtr tracks from the get go and dont do anything crazy w them in the mix in most cases.

some engineers like CLA are known for tweaking stuff to the point it does not sound right on its own, but most of the time w guitars i find the most surprising is the low end roll off in a mix.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10