Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Default SC48 double firewire port question

Hello everybody. My name is Chris and it's my first post in this forum.

Band I engineer for asks me to record a show for multicam dvd release and I have chosen SC48 console because of build in FW interface. Recording straight into Apple machine seems like most convenient way to do this. (there is no reliable field recording services in my region)

I could not find any info so I hope to get some answers here.

SC48 has got two FW ports. Are those ports mirrored or what is their dual purpose? I'm asking because if it's possible I would record onto two separate computers simultaneously for backup (using two FW cables or split 12 channels onto one machine and rest onto another if possible?). I never recorded more than few tracks live from external interface and somehow I feel that I may run into drive/cpu bandwidth problems.

I have an iMac 2.16, 3gb ram, 7200 and a MBP 2010 2.4, 4gb ram and 64Gb SSD. Is either of those machines capable of recording about 24 tracks? Surely there will be pauses during act when an assistant can stop/save recording and start rec again.

I have heard that one can use SC48 as a normal interface in other DAWs with FWx drivers. If that's the case I would prefer using Logic (I have no PT license and I don't want to mess with installing other software when console arrives before the gig.

Can you help me with this? What would be recommended setup for 24-26 tracks? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Talking Re: SC48 double firewire port question

Ok, I'm sure others on the forum can give you more concrete info, but since no one has answered I'll offer what I know.

The purpose of the dual firewire ports is basically so you can "daisy chain" devices. In practical terms, this means plugging your computer into one port, and an external hard drive into the other. Very convenient when using a Macbook Pro which has but one FW port. There might be some other reason (additional recording interfaces?) for this, and I'd be happy to learn that if someone wants to speak up.

To my knowledge you cannot split tracks to two computers or record redundantly to two computers. However, your MBP should have no trouble tracking up to 32 channels on the latest software (3.0). I just spent a tour doing this every day with a 2010 MBP, 8gb RAM, and a 7200rpm 500gb hybrid drive. I didn't even use an external drive most nights and it tracked just fine.

As for redundancy, perhaps you have another SC48 in monitors? If not, perhaps a basic solution would be to simply setup a two-track recording into another computer or a standalone interface (or even a CDR recorder). Obviously not as good as multi-tracking, but we are all on a budget and something is better than nothing if the multi-track fails on you.

Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Re: SC48 double firewire port question

Thank you for reply. After some research and testing I'm no longer worried.