Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Default SSD + 7,200 RPM drive

I just bought a SSD to install as my C drive in my Windows 10 computer. My data/audio drive is a 7,200 RPM drive, already in the computer. It just dawned on me to ask, will these two be compatible? Unfortunately, I can't supply a Sandra report because that computer is down at the moment while I do some other work on it. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:04 PM

Default Re: SSD + 7,200 RPM drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
I just bought a SSD to install as my C drive in my Windows 10 computer. My data/audio drive is a 7,200 RPM drive, already in the computer. It just dawned on me to ask, will these two be compatible? Unfortunately, I can't supply a Sandra report because that computer is down at the moment while I do some other work on it. Thanks.
As long as they're formatted correctly there will be no issue running the two types of drives together. A lot of people run mixed-drive systems with ssd's and spinners. Check out my profile to see the system I run.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:08 PM

No compatibility problems, but what kind of drive is the spinner? If it's a green or similar drive - powers down - not good. Best spinner: Western Digital Caviar Black with 64 mb cache.

I have 2 SSDs and a WD Black in my W10 Audio computer and 1 SSD and 2 WD Blacks in my Work computer.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-07-2019, 04:24 PM

You have exactly what make/model/spec SSD drive? Connected exactly how? Via SATA II? SATA III? PCIe 2? PCIe 3? Different types of SSDs have performance can vary by factors of several times. You may be better off running everything, including sessions, on that SSD drive if it is a super fast. PCIe/NVMe drive,

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-07-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
.... You may be better off running everything, including sessions, on that SSD drive if it is a super fast. PCIe/NVMe drive,
And large enough as you would need atleast 1TB to run PT/OS/Recording but the Sample Libraries might be best to run on any good second drive like a T5 SSD or if you cant afford a larger SSD a WD Caviar Black spinner in a USB3 case as the libraries usually take up lots of space on the drives and that space may be needed to use for recording instead

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-07-2019, 07:57 PM

... or I know maybe folks could actually just state clearly what they have and then requests for help would have a chance of getting get coherent useful suggestions....
Old 09-08-2019, 12:45 AM

What's the fun there? Asking exact question is half the answer already.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
You have exactly what make/model/spec SSD drive? Connected exactly how? Via SATA II? SATA III? PCIe 2? PCIe 3? Different types of SSDs have performance can vary by factors of several times. You may be better off running everything, including sessions, on that SSD drive if it is a super fast. PCIe/NVMe drive,
Quote:
... or I know maybe folks could actually just state clearly what they have and then requests for help would have a chance of getting get coherent useful suggestions....
Calm down Darryl. The op isn't asking about performance per se but will drives of two completely different ways of operating work together in the same system. That's all. Sometimes people just ask simple questions without any further needs/wants. Sometimes they just have simple needs - not everybody is in this to work at a professional money-making level you know.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Thanks to each of you for your help, especially to musicman 691. You hit the nail on the head. Here's a link to the SSD I purchased as my program drive. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx500

The spinner is a WD. Specs per receipt from the computer's purchase in 2013 are as follows: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive. It is NOT a green drive. (Sorry, I should have stated that in advance.) The system is Windows 10 version 1903. I'm running Pro Tools 12.5. CPU is an Intel 17-3770 (I think. I upgraded that from the original i5 and, as I stated, I cannot currently access that computer.) If I have to, I could buy a matching SSD for my data drive, but I'm an old guy living on social security, so I'd rather not spend the money. Know what I mean?

Will they work together? Perhaps the best way is for me to just try. Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
Thanks to each of you for your help, especially to musicman 691. You hit the nail on the head. Here's a link to the SSD I purchased as my program drive. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx500

The spinner is a WD. Specs per receipt from the computer's purchase in 2013 are as follows: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive. It is NOT a green drive. (Sorry, I should have stated that in advance.) The system is Windows 10 version 1903. I'm running Pro Tools 12.5. CPU is an Intel 17-3770 (I think. I upgraded that from the original i5 and, as I stated, I cannot currently access that computer.) If I have to, I could buy a matching SSD for my data drive, but I'm an old guy living on social security, so I'd rather not spend the money. Know what I mean?

Will they work together? Perhaps the best way is for me to just try. Thanks again!
Tell me about Social Security - both the wife and I have been on it for a few years now. So spending money is tight as I don't make a hell of a lot through the recording avenue. Oh I get the odd commission but that's it.

Back to the topic - those drives will work together just fine. Just make sure that they're formatted for regular Windows use. I wouldn't trust a new drive to be formatted the way you need it for Windows and it doesn't take long to format a drive.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 09-09-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: changed Mac OSX references to Windows