Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-18-2015, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Buy 12 Upgrade Plan now, activate next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepop View Post
I've had a look for the UK and as far as I can see, the law seems to state to "check the expiry date and the terms and conditions" - dam.
Given that AVID neither states any expiry date nor has any deadline in T&C, the vouchers might effectively be valid inifinitely, legally. I don't know the UK law system, but over here you cannot impose T&C after purchase ad liberatum (as AVID does from time to time, see their public promise about cost-free dot-releases for Pro Tools, which was broken with 11.3.2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepop View Post
Dude, you better read this again, it basically says, you have 3 years to "activate" as long as the voucher does not "expire".

So in 2 years time (lets say) you might end up trying to activate a voucher that has "expired". You can "activate" it, but it won't be worth anything.
That's how I'm reading it. It's not clear.
Again, as AVID didn't clearly state any expiry (and there are restrictions on imposing voucher deadlines in Germany), "default" expiry rules apply, the mentioned full three calendar years - §195 BGB for my German fellows. There have been ample court rulings confirming this, so AVID rejecting activation for a full year of upgrades would be legally indefensible over here.

What is really sad is that we even have to THINK about it.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
What is really sad is that we even have to THINK about it.
YES!
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Jeffro is always spot on. But, I would contact the Avid office in your country to get confirmation and stop the dime store lawyer stuff that usually doesn't end well. As with any multinational corp, all policies gets passed by legal first.

https://www.avid.com/US/about-avid/office-locations
Old 12-19-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
No, the current Upgrade Plan redemption programs will not be maintained that long.
That would be illegal under California law. Since there are no terms and conditions attached to the purchase transaction of the upgrade (in fact it only says "12 month support upgrade for Pro Tools HD" so no year or version included) of an expiry date, it would clearly fall against consumer protection laws.

I hope Avid legal is ready for anyone calling in because the CA State Attorney's dept will get involved. If Avid wanted to change the rules, they had to do it before the financial transaction happened. There is literally nothing on the physical box or card or the transaction receipt that limits the activation date (or version or even license year.)
Old 12-19-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That would be illegal under California law. Since there are no terms and conditions attached to the purchase transaction of the upgrade (in fact it only says "12 month support upgrade for Pro Tools HD" so no year or version included) of an expiry date, it would clearly fall against consumer protection laws.

I hope Avid legal is ready for anyone calling in because the CA State Attorney's dept will get involved. If Avid wanted to change the rules, they had to do it before the financial transaction happened. There is literally nothing on the physical box or card or the transaction receipt that limits the activation date (or version or even license year.)
I suspect that is why jeffro's answer was vague with respect to a hard cut-off date. AVID management is likely bluffing, telling jeffro to float a 1-31-16 date, knowing full well they will have to honor the late activations.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
There is literally nothing on the physical box or card or the transaction receipt that limits the activation date (or version or even license year.)
Nor on mine!
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM

I think the main flaw with the current argument is that people are claiming that they've been financially harmed when that is clearly not the case. What's really being asked here of Avid is whether or not it's okay to intentionally put oneself in harms way after being explicitly told not to do so. The fact that people are inquiring if they can indefinitely wait to activate their subscriptions implies that it isn't the common understanding that Support Plan codes can be redeemed well after the deadline without consequence. However, even after confirmation from jeffro of the facts, people are still trying to convince themselves otherwise, much to their own peril.

In about every case where you enter into an agreement with companies such as Avid, your damages are limited to your purchase price. They would reserve the right to either grant you that upgrade post-deadline or offer you a refund. If they refund your money, then it's going to cost you $999 to upgrade that same HD license after this year. In that case, what was the benefit of waiting? That's why I personally don't see the upside to putting off the redemption for what would essentially be a penalty waiver. And that's why I'd also caution people here to not encourage others to take on such risks without fully understanding the consequences. In other words, don't urge others to jump off a bridge just because you want to do it.

Jeffro has provided you official notice, on behalf of Avid, as to what your obligations are as to completing the process of enrolling in the Support Plan, as well as the deadline for doing such. If you choose to act otherwise, then you have done so on your own volition. And let's face it, it's really a bit too late to claim ignorance at this point. However, I can still appreciate the sprockets spinning inside your heads!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:40 AM

i just ordered the PT 12 upgrade from PT10/11, 99$ from a dealer, for obvious reasons.

i don't plan to use PT12 now since i can't afford to upgrade all my RTAS plugins now. it is imperative for me to have a fully functional PT10 without interruption.
i don't care when to activate my licence as long as PT10 is running smooth.

-->> do i loose my PT10 licence on my ilok by upgrading to PT12? <<--

i can't see a clear answer to that on the site, nor could my sales-rep give me a clear yes or no!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 AM

No, you exchange your PT10 license for a 10/11/12 bundle license that can authorize any of those versions.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM