Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM

Default UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutions!

Ok. So basically, PT has been giving me this:

"DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload." (i think its 1093 or something, i dont have it in front of me.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 with 3 gig ram. I am using a Digi002R.

I used to have bootcamp with windows XP on it, which I know is dumb. Ran PT 7.4 on it for a while and then this error started popping up about every 30 seconds of recording/playback.

I decided to revamp my computer. Started from scratch, Intalled snow leopard, and PT 8. went smooth for a session or two, and not we're back to the same freaking error!!! Completely different version of PT and completely different OS, but same problem still there. Very weird.

Then I noticed that my old firewire cable had a tare in it. didnt change anything, problem is still there.

Needless to say im at a loss now and i dont know where to go from there... I've had a hard time with that macbook pro. It used to shut down randomly (it stopped when i reinstalled the OS), had to change the hard drive, and ive always had problems with the disc drive. Total lemon, but i really dont have the cash for a new computer so hopefully we'll be able to find a solution here...

let me know!
thanks guys,
Nic
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Default Re: UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutio

No mention of an external firewire drive in your setup?

You shouldn't run your audio sessions from the internal drive for exact reasons that your experiencing.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Default Re: UGH! ''DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough.'' Tried many different solutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niglopte View Post
Ok. So basically, PT has been giving me this:

"DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload." (i think its 1093 or something, i dont have it in front of me.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 with 3 gig ram. I am using a Digi002R.

I used to have bootcamp with windows XP on it, which I know is dumb. Ran PT 7.4 on it for a while and then this error started popping up about every 30 seconds of recording/playback.

I decided to revamp my computer. Started from scratch, Intalled snow leopard, and PT 8. went smooth for a session or two, and not we're back to the same freaking error!!! Completely different version of PT and completely different OS, but same problem still there. Very weird.

Then I noticed that my old firewire cable had a tare in it. didnt change anything, problem is still there.

Needless to say im at a loss now and i dont know where to go from there... I've had a hard time with that macbook pro. It used to shut down randomly (it stopped when i reinstalled the OS), had to change the hard drive, and ive always had problems with the disc drive. Total lemon, but i really dont have the cash for a new computer so hopefully we'll be able to find a solution here...

let me know!
thanks guys,
Nic
It is a software requirement for Pro Tools to have a secondary drive to record to. In your case, an external FireWire drive (no USB!).

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 PM

OK, thanks alot for the replies guys, its just weird that it has been working like that for a long long time and that all of a sudden it doesnt....

After 3 years of recording, I guess ill try, and then if that doesnt work, ill post again. Back to the basics for me...

I have a question though.... how exactly do I do this with only one firewire outlet on my computer?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niglopte View Post
I have a question though.... how exactly do I do this with only one firewire outlet on my computer?
Avid recommends Macbook>drive>interface. Even though the 002 has two firewire jacks, you shouldn't chain another device after it.

Be sure to get a minimum 7200 rpm drive, and the firewire bridge should be an Oxford 911/912/922/924.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM

There has been a lot of conversation about this particular problem (I for one have gone through support a couple times regarding it).

I hope adding an external FW drive cures the problem for you, but make sure of the following, especially if you have to call support.

1. Go through their Help us Help You documentation thoroughly.
2. Use a FW drive that has the Oxford chipset.
3. Make sure you have the latest version of your plug-ins and virtual instruments.
4. Don't use a FW Hub.

Just some things I had to sign off on as I talked to tech support.

My solutions were one of two things.

Revert from 8.0.3 to 8.0.1 CS2 on Leopard 10.5.8

and ultimately

Clean install (format the entire hard drive) of Snow Leopard 10.5.3 and install 8.0.3

This has worked flawlessly thus far, but I'm questioning my Kontakt (Komplete) installation as this very error just cropped up in a recent session.

Good luck to you!

iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 24"
4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.3
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3
Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Is firewire really that much better than usb3? I have an opportunity to get a glyph drive tb but, it's usb 3
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 PM

USB 3 would be fine except your old MBP only has USB 2.

And your MBP is only a Core2 Duo so on the underpowered side anyhow. And you have a Firewire interface, so you've got a kind of crapshoot here. Firewire 800 disk will work better on a Mac than USB 2. But you are then putting a Firewire disk and interface on the same Firewire chain, and face possible problem with that.

Still I'd go with a proper-spec Firewire 800 drive (7,200 rpm or faster and Oxford Firewire chipset)... You may also have the option of replacing the optical drive in your MBP with a 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD (get a Samsung 840 Evo or Pro). Or even better get a new MBP

And as always, a good SSD would be better than any HDD, especially if going internal and your optical bay has a SATA III connection (I'll check later...).

EDIT: Nope looks like the Superdrive in this old girl is PATA so an internal drive is a non-starter.