Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Default "DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or

"DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload."

thats the error message i got before my mbox 2 pro gave out on me. i've re installed PT8 and tried all my firewire connections....do you think my mbox 2 pro is really dead? its not recognized in my device manager and theres no signs of life at all....

my build

ASUS P5K Deluxe
Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2/800
MBox2 Pro PT8

help please!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:31 AM

Default Re: "DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented,

i was getting these same DAE (9073 i think) with a stem mix i was using to test my PT 8 upgrade which had me stumped for a while

errors stopped when i edited the stems by removing all the silent bits on the stems and i managed to nearly get through the whole song then started getting hw buffer messages

still, working my way through it and trawling through DUC for answers
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: "DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented,

Have you tried the steps in the General Troubleshooting thread yet? If not - please start there...
Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 AM

The P5K series on-board firewire are definitely NOT compatible with Digidesign's firewire interfaces. We've been adding a dedicated card on the P5K-based system we use, and it solved this problem. Make sure this isn't the cause first.

Also, what type of drive are you recording to? The system drive? firewire? USB? second internal? and what speed is it?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminzayne View Post
"DAE can't get audio from drive fast enough. Drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to extra firewire bandwith or CPU upload."

thats the error message i got before my mbox 2 pro gave out on me. i've re installed PT8 and tried all my firewire connections....do you think my mbox 2 pro is really dead? its not recognized in my device manager and theres no signs of life at all....

my build

ASUS P5K Deluxe
Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2/800
MBox2 Pro PT8

help please!
Are you having problems with a HD Drive also? or just the MBox2 Pro? The fastest way to tell if the MBox is okay is try in on another computer. ASUS uses several different FW chips and not all of them are compatble with PT-Some work some don't. YMMV. Your best bet is using a Digi Approved and tested FW card. Also be aware SpySweeper can block the FW port and cause the 002/003/MBoxPro to not be recognised

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminzayne View Post

my build

ASUS P5K Deluxe
Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2/800
MBox2 Pro PT8

help please!
The text of the error is saying that it can't get data from the hard drive (firewire?) fast enough, yet your questions seems to say that your Mbox2Pro is the problem. Which is it? I just don't want your to spend your time to try to fix the Mbox2Pro when the issue is the hard drive. You mention that your Mbox2Pro "gave out" on you. What exactly happened? we're going ot need a lot more information to be able to try to help you.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM

I started having the same issue on playback. The same error message -9073. I was playing back from the computer hard drive (not recommended) or from a portable firewire. I went to the general trouble shooting page

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888

and performed the following: delete Pro Tools preferences, repair permissions, delete databases and volumes. I lost some data from sessions saved on my hard drive but I had copies on my firewire. I copied these back to the computer hard drive (not recommended) and it plays now without error. However, when I try to play from my firewire I still get the error message.

Ben

MacBook Pro OSX 10.4.11 2.2 GHz 2GB
Pro Tools LE 7.4 MBox 2 Mini
Iomega LPHD160-C firewire
Old 02-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Not attempting to record to your system drive are you? That's a BIG problem.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Avid

Did you format the Iomega drive using the OS X Disk Utility?

I can't find specific info using the model number you gave me - is there any other model info?

How are you connecting the drive to the computer - which port and what type of cable? Are there any other peripherals attached?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Did you format the Iomega drive using the OS X Disk Utility?

I can't find specific info using the model number you gave me - is there any other model info?

How are you connecting the drive to the computer - which port and what type of cable? Are there any other peripherals attached?
Yes, I formatted the Iomega with the OSX disk utility. It's a Iomega Silver Series USB/firewire 400 bus powered, 160 GB, connected using a firewire cable to the firewire outlet on the side of my MacBook Pro opposite the power cord. Link for drive...

http://tinyurl.com/d6dt7g

Also connected is the MBox 2 Mini which is connected via USB outlet on the same side as the power cord. The Iomega has the capacity for external power but I've not tried that yet.

Ben Ellis