Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Sound Design

Hi guys,
My first post Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for sound design and soundtrack stuff - Ive just picked up two short film jobs for some young filmakers. Both want sound design stuff - and some overdubbing of some sounds - eg truck engines, fishing line noises - which im planning to go and sample with a recorder. At the moment i have an old sony mini disk player and a stereo condensor - but that is annoying because the mini disc spins and you hear it on the mic - planning to get one of those hand held ones. Any suggestions? I hear the zoom H4 digital recorder is cool.

I have only done one film, last year and it was all done in ableton live 6 at home and then mixed down to wavs and imported into pro tools in a surround sound production house.

I don't have dv tool kit which i should be able to get away with for these films. yeah?

Just seeing if anyone has any advice on things i should consider when compiling overdubbed samples with foley and sound from the shoot day in Pro Tools - im thinking there would be some notice if the ambience of the overdubbed mic sounds different to the mic on the set (hiss....) I was thinking that if the sound recordist recorded ambient noise in each room they are filming it in so then i could mix it in with the overdubbed sounds to make them seem believable - is this too pedantic?

Im definately going to recommend that they get the final mix done by a professional enginneer as Im not knowledgable with the stuff and if that is organised then i will liase with the studio on how they need the files delivered. I am also thinking i might try doing some work experience in some of these studios.

Any way, any advice would be awesome
cheers
Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Sound Design

Quote:
Hi guys,

Im definately going to recommend that they get the final mix done by a professional enginneer as Im not knowledgable with the stuff and if that is organised then i will liase with the studio on how they need the files delivered. I am also thinking i might try doing some work experience in some of these studios.

Any way, any advice would be awesome
cheers
Well, as a mixer, I wouldn't be happy receiving somehtign to mix, unless it's been edited properly.
I've had to do this on various occasions, and end up fixing more than mixing.
Get some instruction on how to do a proepr edit before dropping this in the lap of a mixer.

IMDB Credits
Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Sound Design

The other one that i did, the mixer had no hassles whatsoever in what i had produced at home - and that was with ableton live - so i must be doing something right