How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 AM

Default Roland Cloud AAX Release

Dear Folks,

Since Avid yesterday posted a story that Roland Cloud Virtual Instruments, I wanted to know if any of you guys here used/ are using those VIs and for those who actually own the real hardware how does it compare to the originals ... (the never ending debate) but would be nice to hear some opinions over here :)

Let me know what you think ....

Best regards,

Bechara
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Roland Cloud AAX Release

This is huge. I am subscribing instantly.

It is worth it for the JV alone IMO.. the 80's and 90's libraries aren't even worth installing but everything else is great...

You can cancel anytime.. just try the 30 days free! They let you use everything without warnings or limitations..

I used the AU's in Patchwork and had some issues, they were great as native in cubase etc.. now they are AAX, yes, I am in for sure. Wonderful sounds!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM

for anyone curious, they all work fine, i haven't had any crashes yet, but most of the different gui size options are gone on the AAX, you get either just one or two.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM

I have been wondering about the Roland plugins. I'm kind of wondering if they are worth it at their price point.

Although, I only recently got Syntronik forgetting all about it, so it may not be worth it from that perspective.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:19 AM

I put them on Trial .... For me the Legends are worth it ... the rest of the libraries ain't quite frankly ...
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Some interesting thoughts on the Roland Cloud in this JP-8 emulation comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyboM9fxSBY

In short, there is a huge CPU load with the Roland, compared to the Arturia and the Diva

Interesting considering the Diva is generally considered heavy on the cycles.

As the reviewer states, the perpetual subscription and the need to be online all the time is enough to put me off.

Anyhow, great YouTube channel. Watched the mini comparisons with the app and the Behringer and he does a great job.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 15.28.42.jpg (17.2 KB, 0 views)

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 08-11-2018, 03:06 AM

Why is he talking about a comparison to come as close to a real Jupiter 8 without an actual Jupiter 8 to test with typical Youtube peope who never touched or played actual hardware ... Useless if you wanna know that part.

If you just want to kow how those 3 VI sounds compared to ... eachother then might be worth scrollng thru that video but he keep saying he is gonna see how close those comes to a Jupiter 8 and that urks me as he doesn't have one and hasn't played any sounds (WAV) from the real hardware version.

We have one real Jupiter 8 here and I can tell by just listening a few seconds that none of them are close to the real thing. Jupiter 8 and the Jupiter 6 we have here are much much warmer and way thicker sounding and the color of the sounds are OK in the Roland Cloud but still not a match by any means.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-11-2018, 11:37 PM

I agree with the above.

The roland cloud synths, and System 8, are merely 'takes' on the real thing. They make sounds that are 'like' the synths they are emulating. That is they make a 2 dimensional photocopy of the sound.

I have a real JX-3P, Juno 106 and SH-2. The new 3P videos really don't have the character of the real unit at all, nor did the boutiques.

I've tried the others personally and they just do not compare. People are fooled because the tones they put our are in the ballpark of the original, so of course it 'sounds like an sh-2' in a superficial way.

What they lack is everything that real analog synths actually excel at, that people buy them for, character, mojo, depth, weight, punch and how they react when pushed with lfos, resonance and filter tricks.

The ACB stuff are just decent digital synths, but completely devoid of character because they are emulative. I'd rather go use other, non VA/ACB type DIGITAL synths if I'm going to use Digital because they have a character all of their own.

The easy way to spot how sub-par these emulations sound is not in a 1:1 raw waveform test, but both with complex/hard pushing of filters, the lack of 'roundness' and weight and playing chords, esp choppy ones, as they gang up voices it gets less and less convincing.

Multiply that over a real song/mix and the result is very often an insipid, flat, vibeless song with no real emotion from the synths. It depends of course how present the synths are in the track, types of sounds needed etc. Yes S8 can do plenty of useful sounds for songs just fine, like any digital can, but it'll never have that presence of real analog if and when it comes to anchor a track on it or showcase that aspect.

I've owned more analog and digitial (inc VA) synths than I've had hot dinners, those who've only had very few synths, esp analog, may well be more than pleased with the emulations. I'm not. They are not the same. The 106 is possibly about the closest as it's the least complex tone (other than the chorus) but still sounds nothing like how a real 106 has this beautiful weighty punch and shimmer even as my least favorite of the bunch I have (I much prefer my JX-3P and esp SH-2 which sounds mind-blowing when you dial it in just so), Jupiter 8 and SH-2, in the soft versions, are quite frankly a plastic sounding joke.

You really need REAL characterful analog to put next to them to spot this (if you don't have much experience) as otherwise your ears find things relative (they get used to sub par sound - just like if you play a bad mix you did over and over your ears go "ok.. it's not bad" but put it next to a pro mix? boom!, if all you hear is VAs and ACB emus then they are probably going to sound fine, good even, but compared to finished songs that used real analog they will always be a poor relation.

Also people who think nay-sayers like us are just scared because of 'expensive hardware' being reduced to nothing, we're not. I've actually REBOUGHT my analogs after stuff like ACB was already out. It's just not in the same league as real analog. I am not scared of losing money (JX-3P's are already dirt cheap anyway), and I'd never use the soft versions while I can have the real versions.

Proof of this is the Jupiter 8, it's a beautiful sounding synth (the real one) but I can't afford it, it's ridiculously priced these days (one just went for £11,000 on ebay! not even great cosmetically!), that's a no-go for me. Even so, I will not then go use the ACB version instead, i'd rather go without than settle for the sterile/plastic fake versions. That's how 'non analog' they really are.

Those who've only used modern VAs and soft synths really have no place to judge, they just don't get it. Older analog synths especially were just that good (sound wise). They just have something even many modern analogs find hard to get, so software has no chance. That same applies to diva, repro (compared this to my prophet 6 recently and the software was again plastic and weak and that's not even against an even more tonally great Prophet 5!)

Last edited by Jeezer; 08-11-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:05 PM

Hello everyone, does RolandCloud works on Pro Tools 12.5? I am using a free trial of Pro Tools Ultimate and RolandCloud and they work great, but I didin't try it on PT 12.5. Thank you.