Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Default D-Control ES goes offline intermittently.

Group,

We've got a D-Control ES that we've had for about two years now. We do long format recording and mixing on the system. We're running it on an Intel Mac Pro Snow Leopard, Pro Tools 8.0.3 with all Firmware updated. 1 main unit and fader unit with a Netgear 4 port gigabit Ethernet switch in between.

The console will intermittently go offline during recording and playback. Been happening since August 2008 through all PT versions, firmware and OS. This happens maybe once or twice every two weeks. It would not be such a big deal except for the fact that we are mixing a live event through it. We are simultaneously tracking and recording to 2 track.

Anyone else have this going on? Any advice on what to change?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Re: D-Control ES goes offline intermittently.

can you try a different ethernet hub or switch?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-02-2010, 03:05 AM

Best is to put an UPS (apc) between The power and The console. This way you are Sure its not a powerfailure. This looks like a power issue

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 10-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Hi
We fixed similar problem with installing usb-to-ethernet adapter connected directly to Icon hub.
best
Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 AM

So I am purchasing a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. Previously, we had a 10/100. I'm sure the speed is NOT going to make a difference but it's a new one and will help narrow the problem if that doesn't fix it.

Everything is currently on a couple APC UPS right now. I'm wondering now if a faulty ups could cause a power drop. It's not giving any indications of power discrepancies.

Another interesting thing to note. Rarely does the the main and fader unit crash simultaneously. It's usually one or the other. Updates to come. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM

We have 100/10 in 2 studios with ICONs.No probs. Do you have internet connection at the same nic ?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM

It's a Mac Pro with one NIC dedicated to control surface. Other NIC is connected to LAN. I did discover that somehow in Network Preferences that the IP address was set to use DHCP but was also somehow set to 169.xxx.xxx.xx subnet 255.255.0.0. Weird but I changed it to manual configuration using same IP and subnet. I'm wondering if since it was set to DHCP that perhaps the console would go offline if the NIC attempted to renew an address lease??? I will continue to update you guys. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM

do not want to disappoint you but in our configuration it also set to DHCP. As of my knowledge ICON is not ip configurable. Maybe it's something with the nic? When ICON goes offline do you have it RED or GREEN in system preferences?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 AM

That's a bummer. I'm not sure if I've seen or even know where the Red or Green lights are. I will look for that next time.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Check also if you can deselect and then again select ICON in ethernet controllers tab or you need complete reboot