Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2000, 10:13 AM

Default Sound Cards for Pro Tools free

I have a few questions regarding getting sound off of my analog 4-track onto Pro Tools Free. Note: I have a Mac G4. Do I need a sound card? If so, does anyone have recomendations? Or am I able to just plug the 4-track into the back of my computer and go. Thanks a lot.
Owen
Old 12-04-2000, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Sound Cards for Pro Tools free

Just go. PTFree should technically support any sound card that has a Sound Manager driver, but I haven't heard of anyone having success with that yet. The built-in sound capabilities of the Mac work fine unless you want to get into higher sound quality which would cost more money and negate the advantages of PT FREE anyway.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:53 PM

All I know there is not one (non digi)sound card Digidesign is officially supporting.
Even the sound cards which support sound manager are not trouble free or don´t work at all (for PT Free).
I wouldn´t expect any change for the better because it would go against any intents of digi marketing.
PT free is nice AND it´s free - the buck stops right there....
Old 12-07-2000, 10:47 AM

hey does anyboby know if and how a vx pocket asio sound card works with protools free? my powerbook tracks a distorted signal thru the digital input on the asio card but tracks clean using the bounce to disc and import audio commands from audio files on my desk top. anybody out there having luck with a pocket vx card and protools free software? if so....help!