Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 05:49 AM

Default HELP PLEASE!!!! Pro Tools Stops!!

Please help me!!..Im having MAJOR problems. Firstly this is the setup:
G4(AGP graphics) 450Mhz, 256mb RAM(i know its small),888(24) Pro tools 5.1.1 Mix plus, 1 mix farm card. SBS 7 slot expansion
chassis, Aurora igniter video capture card, SCSI card and digi quiet drive, 02R.

Problem : Pro Tools loads fine and starts to playback fine and about 30 seconds into the track the audio drops out. The audio doesnt drop
out all at one but you loose half of your channels and then the rest start to disappear. The meters in pro tools are still going but the 888
has no singal on the meters. (its a learning instatution and so there are multiple users who are just learning to use pro tools)I've been
having lots of problems with the computer in general but I've tried everything. I reinstalled pro tools, and OS 9.1. The only thing i haven't
tried is taking all the cards out of the expansion chassis and putting them in the G4. Could this kind of fault be caused by the expansion
chassis?? Urgent help is needed as this is a university and there are 35 students wanting to use the studio!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 07:10 AM

Default Re: HELP PLEASE!!!! Pro Tools Stops!!

Could It be as simple as someone having written in Volume Cut automation? Have a look at the Tracks in Volume view. (this has happened to me a few times, silly as it sounds)
Old 05-08-2002, 07:25 AM

Its not that because i tried several sessions and it happens on all of them. Also after it has stopped competley(no audio at all) and then i try starting from the begenning of the session it still doesnt work. I think i found out whats wrong!! I ran digitest and it is telling me that the system is misconfigured. It says that the host card for the expansion chassis is in the wrong slot. I checked and it is not in the wrong spot. In the manual it says to put it in the lowest slot number
(ie solt 1) I've got the G4 with an AGP graphics card. The host card is in the first PCI slot. I hope it doesn't expect me to put it in the AGP slot.This is impossible as it is not an AGP card its PCI and then where would i put my graphics card. The slot order in the G4 is : AGP - dual monitor graphics card, 1 - expansion host card, 2 - SCSI host card, 3 - Aurora Ignitor video capture card. I've heard that maybe the SCSI card should be in slot three and the video card in slot 2....i hope this works
Old 05-08-2002, 09:15 AM

Hi,

Has this system ever worked? If it has, I might suggest that you trash prefs. Does it only happen in one session? If so, it may be a corrupt session or some automation data that is in it. You could create a new session and Import Tracks 1 at a time.

BTW, Digitest will tell you that it's misconfigured if there isn't an empty slot between the controller card and the SCSI card. I wouldn't pay much attention to that message. It sounds like you've done your homework as far as configuration is concerned.

Hope this helps,

MasterJ
Old 05-08-2002, 09:27 AM
Avid

Are you using Waves plug-ins?

If for any reason the Waves dongle is not seen by the computer, it will send all of the Waves plug-ins into DEMO MODE. Demo mode works for about 90 seconds and then will stop passing audio on any channels with Waves plug-ins instantiated.

Brent
Old 05-10-2002, 07:41 PM

did one of the students screw with the memory setting in the Get Info of PT and the DAE? Good to check anyhow.