Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Default MIDI Timing Issue

I have a midi piano track and an Instrument track with Mini Grand on it. When I had the player track it I remember it sounding fine. On playback it is very out of time now. I was going to try and replay the part so I put the midi track in record enable and hit play so I could learn the part. Suddenly everything is in time. The midi file only plays in time if the midi track is record enabled. I tried bouncing it down to audio but it bounced out of time.

What could possibly cause this?

I have tried Delay Compensation set to Maximum and Long. Same results for both.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Default Re: MIDI Timing Issue

What exact version of Pro Tools, and what buffer settings?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Pro Tools 10.3.7 on OSX 10.8.5. Buffer settings are 1024.

I was able to open the original session without any plugins on it. Turn Delay Compensation of and bounce to audio. Then I imported that into my mix session. I would still like to know what could cause this and how to fix it though.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmc1988 View Post
I have a midi piano track and an Instrument track with Mini Grand on it. When I had the player track it I remember it sounding fine. On playback it is very out of time now. I was going to try and replay the part so I put the midi track in record enable and hit play so I could learn the part. Suddenly everything is in time. The midi file only plays in time if the midi track is record enabled. I tried bouncing it down to audio but it bounced out of time.

What could possibly cause this?

I have tried Delay Compensation set to Maximum and Long. Same results for both.
Same thing happens to me. If I reduce the H/W Buffer size to 128 it starts behaving.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm not in my studio at the moment, so I'm not sure about the nomenclature here, but there are two box's in the midi offset window preference pane that need to be unchecked. They are checked by default to compensate for delays with external midi devices. When they are checked it cause's any internal VI to playback out of time. Why the heck this is the default setting is a mystery to me. I check for this preference on every new session. When done correctly the midi timing issues go away.

Last edited by WernerF; 04-22-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 AM

Thank you WernerF!

I have been struggeling with this for a while. I experienced that the ADC seemed reversed because of this. I had 8 audiotracks playing along with midi through kontakt5, which track delay was 208 samples. The timing was just fine, but then i imagined that the ADC was off and i turned it on...
Everything was falling apart.
But the setting you talk about totally solved the issue. Now the ADC actually improve the timing, as it should.

Thank you
Best regards
Bo Z
Old 04-22-2014, 03:45 PM

For sure. Just in case anyone else has the issue the path to the settings is - Preferences/Midi/Delay Compensation for External Devices .

I have to repeat, it mystifies me as to why the boxes being checked is the default setting! This absolutely screws up any VI midi playback timing. Also, how you use external midi triggered synths and VI's at the same time and not have to choose between correct timing for one or the other is also a total mystery to me! Something is seriously incorrectly designed here.