Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

Whilst it's probably not the place for discussions on the new Imacs - I have to say they are really nice. Okay I had two returns - but it didn't put me off. And now I have a perfect screen - couldn't be happier.

I'm going to see what happens with another Mbox in a week or so - if it's still crackling etc - I'll re-think - but I'm hoping I've just been unlucky. I'd like to get the FW version on the 11 Rack - but it's beyond me at this time...

I'm sure there a whole load of Mac / Mbox users are as happy as larry...I wish they'd come on here - to share their experiences....

Good luck...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

Chrissyb !
Did it help ? Just curious about your situation with the USB on iMac.
My system rocks every time with Mbox 2 mini plugged into the USB port next to the FW800 outlet on iMac i7.
My system freezes, and hangs up on me every time with MBox2 mini plugged into the USB port next to the headphones out on iMac i7.

Go figures !
Chris7514
Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

My MBOX2 should be back with the retailer - as you know mine had exhibited the 'move the USB port behaviour' with 3 different Imacs...(the I5!)

The additional problem with mine is that it crackled continuously. Perhaps you can tell me if yours crackles when you move the USB lead?

I'm thinking that this must be a separate manufacturing fault...(Or rather hoping, as if the retailer can't repeat the behaviour I don't know what will happen)

I think I've been darn unlucky - tech support haven't responded to me which makes me think that they're aware of the USB problem on the Imacs.

I wish they'd come on here and say something, you know I'm really loathed to get the Mbox back if it technically doesn't work with the Imacs, even it does work on that port next to the firewire. It seems a bit half arsed to me.

When/if i get the Mbox2 back I'll let you know what happens...

Chris
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM

Ah to be fair to DIGIDESIGN they have said they're looking into the problem on another thread - I just read that one properly..

Perhaps they could make a sticky - pleasssse!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM

I've since learnt that the I5's and I7's haven't been qualified. I completely missed it - even though I was pointed there by another poster. It isn't explicit but the new Macs aren't qualified.

I've also been told there IS a software solution (it is a software problem) pending - but the release is unknown as another software issue may arise then needs addressing.

Perhaps some of you know this - looks like it's a waiting game, but I don't know how long. So it looks like I'll be getting my Mbox2 back but it will be still crackling, upgrading to another box doesn't sound like an option as these aren't qualified either.

Hopefully it will all be resolved quickly...

Chris
Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM

This is copied from another thread, but it solved the problem instantly for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_miles View Post
Dear All, can you try switching off your Airport and disconnecting any network lead - there seems to be an issue in SL where PT searches potential network drives if it senses a network connection. This resolved the issue for me in SL 10.6.2 with PT 8.0.3 - Let me know how you get on. Regards, Ian
Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM

It doesn't matter in my case. My system works fine with blue tooth, and airport on. As long as MBox2 mini is connected on my i7 to the USB port next to the FW800 outlet.
Chris7514
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Shockingly, I am in disbelief! After living with this 27" iMac/Bluetooth toggle issue since December 09, this workaround seems to have worked.

Leaving the USB port closest to the headphone jack open, has cured this problem for me. So now I can live with my semi-new iMac normally now for the first time since opening the box.

Nice fix!
2X - 1T External HD with Mercury Elite Pro Enclosure
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
http://thefinallap.com
Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Lap Guy View Post
Shockingly, I am in disbelief! After living with this 27" iMac/Bluetooth toggle issue since December 09, this workaround seems to have worked.

Leaving the USB port closest to the headphone jack open, has cured this problem for me. So now I can live with my semi-new iMac normally now for the first time since opening the box.

Nice fix!
I bought my imac quadcore 5i 27" two days ago, had the same problems and tried the usb port trick I found on this page: YES! So far I've played back 1 single track and recorded 3 words.
Mind you: the Mbox2 should be connected while the computer is still off. If it's plugged while computer = on, PT will start, but playing a track will result in pulsing ticks that have nothing to do with your recording.
State of the art? haha
Old 05-28-2010, 10:21 AM

i have to say this issue IS BIZZARRE! i was having the same problem of trying to open ProTools LE8 and it freezing while loading expand!.dpm. it was also introduced issues with Safari by causing it to freeze as well. i could sometimes open ProTools but not open any old files.

ProTools worked fine for months and all of a sudden it started doing this. even when it was working fine however, it was still causing kernel panics usually after burning from iTunes. Apple wants me to believe it is a software issue, which is not covered under warranty of course. now i read here that it's a hardware issue within iMac.

from reading this thread i remember unplugging my USBs to move some stuff and probably didn't plug them back into the same spots. i have to say i switched USB ports and it seems to be working fine now (knock on wood) i'll repost if it happens again.

has anyone spoken to Apple about this? i'd like to know if there's anyone who has spoken to them before i take my machine in and give em a piece of my mind. i'd like to approach them as informed as possible about this issue.