Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Default imac i7/mbox 2 family - problems

Hello Digi

I realize there are documented issues with operating usb-powered mbox 2 (regular, mini, or micro) in conjunction with the new imac i7's. There have been a few methods for working around the issue (alternating bluetooth, using the usb port closest to the firewire port, etc.).

Such tips have worked for some, but not for all. I am curious as to what Digi's official advice might be for those who own this specific machine and operate 8.0.3 with usb-powered, mbox2 family interfaces.

I've explained the issues I've been having in detail on all the threads currently found under the "pro tools LE for mac" link that pertain to issues with the new imac i7.

If further details need to be given, I would be happy to reveal them

I appreciate Digi's diligence in tending to this matter.
ATI Radeon HD 4850
1 TB internal
Digidesign-qualified G-technology, 7200 RPM external drive
snow leopard 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE Mbox 2 mini 8.0.3
Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM

Default Re: imac i7/mbox 2 family - problems

I have the same problem...

I bought an mbox2 mini that came with PT7.4 (with free upgrade to PT8). And have been using 7.4 on my old mac just fine.

Now on my new iMac (which doesn't have any previous versions of PT), i downloaded the free upgrade (Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 Full Installer) and installed/authorized it. PT could not open at all and the computer kept crashing and being weird even when i wasn't on PT. I also tried with and mbox2, same thing.

Where does it say about the 'known issues'? Appreciate all the help i can get... THANKS!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Hello

I've been in direct contact with Digi tech support via email. They've been the ones to inform me that there are known issues with this specific setup.

Other mac, mbox related threads have this in there as well, but you have to dig deep to find the exact comments posted.

The weird thing is that problems seem to only happen if all four of the following are being used in conjunction:

LE 8.0.3
Snow Leopard 10.6.2
imac i7
any usb-powered mbox2 family interface

Users running the eleven rack, or any firewire interface are usually ok
ATI Radeon HD 4850
1 TB internal
Digidesign-qualified G-technology, 7200 RPM external drive
snow leopard 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE Mbox 2 mini 8.0.3
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Hey, i researched and dug in to forums etc. and AMAZINGLY, switching to the USB port closest to the FW800 worked... been doing test runs with mbox2 mini and mbox2, opening older projects, recording, mixing, running plug-ins. i did not change anything else.

port 1: mbox2
port 2: 4=port hub connecting AKAI MPD32 and EDIROL midi interface
port 3: iLok
port 4: keyboard

FW800: WD 1TB - Lacie 250GB - External CD/DVD Burner/Drive

2nd VGA monitor

BlueTooth: On
Airport: On

Optimized Snow Leopard from the Avid Site

brand new computer. i only downloaded/updated apple software update and ilok extensions. installed BPM and Vyzex (after Pro-Tools was working).

Will keep updating as i go along... GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 AM

Finally someone who can explain the exact same problem I'm having. I was afraid that my new expensive computer was broken. Will try to put the USB close to the firewire and come back with results.

.rickard
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 AM

Hi all,

I got:
Brand new iMac i5 with snow L 10.6.2
MBOX 2 (USB) with ProTools LE 8.0.3

NOT WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!
It freezes just after PT bootup. It shows the PT menus, but just gives you the spinning ball of death.

The support @ avid/digidesign in France said to me, it’s not working yet with the new iMacs 27" ????!!!!!!
But where is it righten ???????
It looks like we have to wait the next version of ProTools……how many month???....

It can't be worth for my business...:mad :

Mickael.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Mikathechou !
Check all posts on DUC regarding this bizarre issue. Over the course of the last few weeks we've provided bunch of detailed workarounds aimed mainly how to:
1) install properly PT 8.0.3 with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 computers ( believe me : it's a gamble at this point)
2) connect and run Digi hardware with new iMacs
In most cases it works fine, although in some cases Apple wins the war with Avid. If it happens you are lucky, and running the PT on Apple setup- stick with it. Don't upgrade any further.
All further upgrades to the OS will be aimed at disrupting the workflow between once- depandable mac computers and digi hardware.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 AM

I can hear the conspiracy theories now.

Apple, in their attempt to boost Logic sales, secretly design the new iMacs with USB ports that allow all devices to work with the exception of the Avid/Digidesign Mbox2 family of devices. By tweaking the USB specification just enough to prevent the USB 1.1 based Mbox2, Mbox2Mini, and Mbox2Micro from working, Apple hopes to turn Protools LE users away from Protools in favor of Logic and interfaces from companies like Apogee that have publicly announced that they are dropping support for Windows and focusing their future products exclusively for the Apple Mac market.

Furthermore, Apple has quietly removed Firewire 400 ports from all their product line and replaced it with Firewire 800 ports in hopes that it confuses Protools LE users that have Firewire 400 based interfaces like the Mbox2Pro, Digi003, Digi003R, and Digi003R+. Some models Macbook, Macbook Air simply don have any Firewire ports at all.

Apple further removed the ExpressCard slot on all but the 17" Macbook Pro to prevent users from adding a Firewire 400 port for external drives to their computers thereby rendering these models not suitable for Protools usage since it requires an external (non-USB) hard drive.

Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.4 running Protools 2020.5.0
Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM

So that sounds nearly official (If french Digidesign are saying it!) - but not quite - the new Imacs don't work with the Mbox series...

Come on DIGIDESIGN but me out of my misery - just send me a discount token and I'll buy a eleven rack - ooops hold on they have USB - ah but USB 2.0 oooh I'm confused....

I have a new Imac - despite the conspiracies I want to use pro tools - which box should I buy?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Obsidian Dragon !
Amen ! You are all right. That's what it is.