Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Default Sync isses, 9173, 9171 SOLVED

We had been experiencing a variety of problems ever since we installed the HDX card over two years ago - specifically intermittent MIDI sync problems, and ongoing intermittent 9173 and 9171 errors plus a variety of plugin-specific issues. We had opened two cases with Avid support, the last being a year ago, and after many dozens of back-and-forth emails, we were not able to stop the errors. I decided to open one more case before our subscription expired, and after a couple of emails, the tech support person said the 9171 indicates a communication problem with the HDX card, and he suggested i swap HDX cards with our re-seller, which we did. And sure enough, as soon as we installed the replacement card, the errors and sync issues were gone. It's unfortunate this wasn't caught sooner, as it has eaten up countless hours of investigation and rebooting and lots of grey hairs, but at least now it's solved. Avid has agreed to repair or replace the card under warranty because the issues were first reported while the warranty was valid, so i thank them for that, and i will be renewing our prescription. I thought some of you out there might benefit from this.
OS 10.11.4
Apogee 800
Aurora 16
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Sync isses, 9173, 9171 SOLVED

This could be a clarification
why some user have major problems , other not at all !

Maybe this was the problem with my HD Native card also ...
Old 01-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamixaled View Post
We had been experiencing a variety of problems ever since we installed the HDX card over two years ago - specifically intermittent MIDI sync problems, and ongoing intermittent 9173 and 9171 errors plus a variety of plugin-specific issues. We had opened two cases with Avid support, the last being a year ago, and after many dozens of back-and-forth emails, we were not able to stop the errors. I decided to open one more case before our subscription expired, and after a couple of emails, the tech support person said the 9171 indicates a communication problem with the HDX card, and he suggested i swap HDX cards with our re-seller, which we did. And sure enough, as soon as we installed the replacement card, the errors and sync issues were gone. It's unfortunate this wasn't caught sooner, as it has eaten up countless hours of investigation and rebooting and lots of grey hairs, but at least now it's solved. Avid has agreed to repair or replace the card under warranty because the issues were first reported while the warranty was valid, so i thank them for that, and i will be renewing our prescription. I thought some of you out there might benefit from this.
Very happy for you, but I don't have an HDX card, and I still have ongoing 9173 issues. I don't think I'm the only one, either.

Avid is still confused about the 9173 errors, together with a host of MIDI bugs; a true solution would definitely stop this bug that's been plaguing the greater majority of PT12 users for a very long time.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:32 AM

dear dynamixaled , since i have , with a HDX card ,
also 9171 errors i would like to know more about the
specific behavior of your faulty card.

when opening a session , after starting PT ,
regardless if one or hundred tracks , strict dsp or mixed with native
plugins , with or without video i get within 3 min an aae 9171 error..
mostly , if it happens once or twice , its gone till i restart PT.

I have this behavior since installing the hdx card on PT10 , PT11
and recent PT12HD versions.
On OSX 10.8.5 (PT 10+11) and sierra.
I did had a case , onliest "solution"
was the hint to use 1024 Buffer size (btw doesnt help and is a joke on
a low latency DSP system for thousands of dollars).

Since i did all known troubleshooting and i have a compatible
macpro (5.1 8 core , 48 gb ram , lot of ssd and wd black) i come
more and more to the conclusion its a faulty card regardless
what digitest (no errors shown) says.

I bought this card in may 2016 and i am not sure where and how
to get a replace card , so far i know within a year (which is over)
is the seller responsible or any guarantee and within two years the manufacturer... or am i wrong?

any help welcome