Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Calm down. They were apparently in a hurry and didn't implement plugin sandboxing, which would have calmed lots of rogue 3rd party plugins down. Maybe some day, who knows? AAX is great, performs just as good as AU.

I was not shouting!!
Just pointing out something that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Just pointing out something that doesn't make sense to me.
Me too. Doesn't make sense that TC gives interview to pro-tools-express and even us moderators don't know about it until it's out. Sure, he doesn't very specifically name the things he's talking about but I for one am angry about Avid PR right now.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Bad SDK???
Developers not using the Avid SDK.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Me too. Doesn't make sense that TC gives interview to pro-tools-express and even us moderators don't know about it until it's out. Sure, he doesn't very specifically name the things he's talking about but I for one am angry about Avid PR right now.
I'm not angry but I give this post a +1....
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Shout out to Tony for taking the time to communicate with everyone. Thank you!

Quote:
I just heard you talk about how much extra work it takes to make HD only features.

Doesn't all that extra money we are paying, more than make it possible?

So, where are they?
If I had to guess, object-based panning is probably on that list. I don't know how well PT currently integrates with Atmos. My other guess is a better designed monitoring system in software.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Developers not using the Avid SDK.
Guess that explains the Click II plugin causing 9173s....
Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Hi Brian, I'm going to politely ask you to please change your tone. My responses are candid and straightforward. I respect that you disagree with some of these decisions, but for the sake of everyone on the DUC, let's keep the dialog positive.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Hi Tony,

I'm about to spend an enormous amount of tax payer funds on a new audio workstation for our 2,400 seat theatre. Currently the plans are to incorporate a Protools HD|Native system into this set up. But your post and the disdain that Avid has shown it's customers is making me rethink that decision.

In my side of the business, I need absolute, rock solid stability. We record and do playback for live shows; theatre, symphonies, operas, ballets and music events. If I can't count on the software that I use to run without a single glitch, then I am not going to spend our tax payer funds on that system. I've been fighting to get this system for over 3 years and we deferred other capital expenses to get this on the budget list for this year. If it's not going to work right out of the box with little more than a few tweaks on my part, then I'm not going to put it into a production environment.

We are not just a two-bit local studio or a project studio run by some doctor or lawyer with too much money to burn on a hobby. We are a full time commercial facility. We produce over 500 publicly attended events per year and are the single largest performance venue in the entire state of Oklahoma. And I get to pick the audio equipment that we put in this building. Think about that for just a minute.

Based on it's past reputation, Protools would be the natural choice to augment our sound systems. But Nuendo may be a better choice, and certainly cheaper.
Hi JCBigler,

This sounds like an exciting project. And that installation would certainly require a solid solution.

I'm confused about how my post is making you rethink your decision to use Pro Tools. I explained that we are committed to providing ongoing stability releases on a regular basis and provided a link that lists many of the issues that have been recently addressed.

Tony
Old 05-19-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Tony,

I just heard you talk about how much extra work it takes to make HD only features.

Doesn't all that extra money we are paying, more than make it possible?

So, where are they?
Hey ghostwriter,

As I said, they take more time to develop, but they are coming.

Thanks for being a member of the community,
Tony
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM

I'll just take a moment and say kudos to Tony for taking time to personally address other members' "concerns" in this thread. Such a tough crowd around here...