Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-23-2003, 09:02 PM

Default any tips for a new MAC user

Hi I've just upgraded to a new MacG4 1.25 DUAL standard ram and Drives-from a PC 667 ,512 ram,7200 drives.I am hanging off to see its real performance as I am about to upgrade FROM PROTOOLS 5.01 TO VERSION 6,poor old bank balance is suffering.
I have still got to purchase another drive for audio[Decided on internal WD 80GIG 7200]and have seen a recomendation for more ram.Question-is there any preparation for the new MAC that is important or handy and the cheapeast way to get old PC ProTools audio and session files to the new MAC System once I have PT version 6?CHEERS Happy sessions.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:22 PM

Default Re: any tips for a new MAC user

Are you using your Mac just for audio?

Wiz
Old 02-24-2003, 02:37 AM

THATS RIGHT The plan is to have the Mac as a dedicated multi-track running Protools.I would prefer it not to be on the internet.I have been looking into the possobility of bringing the PC FILES[PRO TOOLS]into the MAC using a network scenario or the ethernet option,any suggestions would be appreciated.Is there anything In the MAC configuration worth adjusting to achieve the best performance from protools?Thanks AGAIN.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:43 AM

For swapping files back and forth a firewire drive seems to be THE way to go. Transfertime is the time to take out the plug and plug it into the other system... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Fot the old pc-sessions, if you had them all saved with the compatibilitybox checked, you should be able to open them. If not....do this:

Install ptle on your pc again and ofcourse the hardware. Then open each session, and do a "save session as" with the compatibilitybox checked.

After you checked all your files, remove the hardware again from the pc and put it back in your mac.

Also...ig you do want to use network connections: i think that a mac with OSX can "disguise" itself as a windows machine, so then it would only be setting up filesharing on the pc...

Let the fun begin...

Bastiaan
Old 02-24-2003, 07:33 AM

two words: Mac Bible. Get a copy of the latest version, read it, and you'll learn more than you could think humanly possible.

Install a second (and even thrid if you want) dedicated audio drive. simple and easy, instructions are on the Apple website.

If you go FW, you might like this: http://www.npstudios.com/fwdock.html. Extrremely economical and infinitely expandable. Plays well with Protools.

Hope this is helpful.