Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-06-2000, 11:48 AM

Default Hard DRive Prob

I am using a Digi001 with DP2.7 on a B+W 350 G3, the original configuration that dosnt 'officially' support 2 ATA drives. I just bought a new Maxtor 45Gig hard drive and slaved it to the stock 6 Gig drive that came with it. I am now having some serious hangup problems. If I play a project from the new harddrive it will hang up after about 30 sec, sit there for 15-30sec and then say my hard drive is too slow. Ever in the normal system it will freeze up the system when coping files from the new drive(slave) to the old(master) drive. If I play the same project from the old drive there are no problems.

Anyone know what is going on? Is there a speed match problem with the new drive? Do I need to get a new ATA/IDE card and put the new drive on a new bus? Would putting the new drive on a new card/bus be better anyway if the new card can handle the full throughput of the ATA100 drive?
Old 11-07-2000, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Hard DRive Prob

Not only does your machine not "officially" support slave ATA devices, it really doesn't support them! Go ahead and get the ATA/100 card, it's faster and costs less than $100.
Old 11-07-2000, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the fast response ZA.

The new drive works, just not very well. I had absolutly no problems setting it up. It just ha sthose hickups.

What it a good card that works on a mac. Do you know if the Maxtor card will work on a Mac. THeir web site only lists Windows versions under the requirements.
Old 11-07-2000, 06:51 AM
Avid

What are the specs of the drive?

Pro Tools LE supports 24 bit, 24 track playback from either a dedicated internal ATA drive or SCSI drive with a qualified SCSI accelerator card. General drive specifications are as follows (ATA and SCSI):
-7200 RPM or faster rotational speed
-10 millisecond or less average seek time
-3.0 MB per second or better sustained throughput
-We recommend that all ATA drives are formatted with the Apple Drive Setup utility.
-With the size of this drive, you would benefit by partitioning it into multiple (5, 9GB) volumes. However, please be aware of the fact that you will adversely affect the performance of the drive if you access more than one partition simultaneously.

Brent

Old 11-07-2000, 06:44 PM

THere is nothing wrong with the drive performance. Its a Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus. THe issue is with the ATA bus controller that doesnt like the slave on the bus. the drive "works", just not good enough to use it for digital audio. Im planning on getting a seprate ATA control card.
Old 11-07-2000, 08:59 PM

I have a g3 BW with a similar set up where the same cable connects to my primary ATA drive and a second Western Digital 7200 rpm drive. The second drive has worked flawlessly and Im not using a card to connect. Not sure what the difference is in our set ups,but it should be able to work that way
Old 11-08-2000, 02:54 PM

msunj, you must have the rev2 B+W g3s. If you have a bracket that lets you mount the hard drive over the other ATA drive then it is a rev 2. I believe the rev1 has a diffrent ATA controller that dosnt support a slave drive. I read reports on Accelerate Your Mac on people putting one in there and having it work. But im learning that it doent work well enough.
Old 11-08-2000, 04:23 PM

Stout-

The B&W G3 shipped with two different logic boards. Only rev 2. logic boards were designed to accommodate multiple ATA devices (without an additional I/F card) You probably have a rev 2 logic board if your ATA cable has on open connector (three total). The problem you are likely experiencing is a B&W specific issue with ATA 66 devices. The B&W G3's are ATA 33 and don't work well with many ATA 66 devices. Per Seagate Tech Support, one fix is to use FWB's Harddisk Tool Kit v4.0 (the full, non-PE version) and use their Configure utility to step the offending ATA device down. If you're a rev 2, this should work. It would likely cost you as much as an ATA card, but you would save a slot.

Also, Apple's Drive Set-Up (v2.x) in the cicra OS 9.0.4 form will not support many (if any) hard drives beyond those with Apple firmware. This "diminishing device support" trend of Apple's makes a utility like Hard Disk Tool Kit look a bit more valuable.

regarding dcornutts HD driver post. ATTO does have a relationship with Digidesign and they make excellent SCSI hardware, however, I don't think they support ATA/IDE drives at all. The initialize with other, then install Apple's driver advice is OK, but not in this (B&W ATA 33) situation.

[This message has been edited by 6stringer (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old 11-12-2000, 10:03 PM

BUMP
Old 11-13-2000, 06:20 PM

Apple doesn't recommend installing a second drive on the ultra ATA port of B&W G3's that didn't ship with a U-bracket for holding 2 stacked ATA drives and a factory installed cable with a second connector on it.

Sometimes you can get away with it, it just depends on how the drives interact electrically with each other and the bus controller.

Later revs of the G3 do support multiple devices on the Ultra ATA port.

ATA/66 drives should work as well as anything else. There's no specific incompatibility with them.

FWB's HDT software can be used to force the drive into a lower-performance mode, which might be more stable.

When in doubt though, take Apple's word for it. It's in the Apple TIL for that model computer.

A SCSI card and controller may be a good investment for one of these older G3's. Or the alternative of using a third-party ATA controller card, assuming it is compatible with the Digi001.