Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-24-2000, 07:48 PM

Default Getting a good mic pre amp. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm new to mic pre amps. People have told me to get great vocals on my songs I have to get a good tube pre amp. I've had people tell me to get JoeMeek, and I have had people tell me to get HHB Raduis. Can you guys/gals give me some suggestions? Thanks, Tony
Old 10-24-2000, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Getting a good mic pre amp. Any suggestions?

Avalon, Avalon, Avalon.

You'll be amazed. I've had mine 6 months and I'm blown away every time I use it.

------------------
- Michael
Old 10-24-2000, 11:55 PM

Budget $$$?

They start at $99 and go up to about $4000 or so.

I've been telling people to buy the 3D Audio CD called "3D Pre CD". It has about 35 preamps tested with vocals (male & female), acoustic guitar, and snare. See if you can hear the difference yourself.

I don't sell them or make anything from those CDs, BTW. They're just very useful and will blow away some pre-conceptions about certain brands (at least it did for me).
www.3daudioinc.com

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited October 24, 2000).]

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 10-25-2000, 12:03 AM

hello jubileewoc,
i'm using a focusrite platinum and a decent mic (it depends on the performer: rode nt2, akg 414/c4000, or even shure sm57) and get good results. in my opinion it's the combination of mic and pre amp that can give the best results. i've tried a joemeek dual preamp but was not convinced, but it could be an item of taste. i don't bother too much with the subject of tubes/valves, because with some nice compression on your digital signal i mannaged to get a very warm sounding vocal sound. with all the soundprocessing and effects added in the mixing stage: what's left of your original 'warm tube' signal ? (i think only the hiss, crackle and annoying blurr !) but off course this is good talk afterwards in the bar. greetings, tantejo
Old 10-25-2000, 01:37 AM

I'm looking to spend maybe $700 or less and have an Audio Technica 4033 mic. Will be doing mainly vocals with it but I'll do some acoustic guitars also. Thanks for the suggestions so far. ~Tony
Old 10-25-2000, 05:05 AM

Check out Mindprint Envoice with digital SPDIF option installed- nice warm valve sound with compression and eq and no AD/DA conversion when running straight into 001 via SPDIF! Plus it looks great, is well built and has an internal power supply!!!!

Great on both vocals and instruments and makes a fine valve DI box also!!!!
Old 10-25-2000, 08:04 AM

To lwilliam,

You mentioned "They're just very useful and will blow away some pre-conceptions about certain brands (at least it did for me)."
Could you please share your findings from this CD...what surprised you? Which pres sounded better than you thought they might? Thanks, Dean
Old 10-25-2000, 07:03 PM

here's my .02
look for a used tl audio 2051
It's got lots of tubes.
they were $2000 when they made them, but I see them on ebay and sweetwater trading post for about $650
It's one of those pieces that people kind of missed, but BOY they sound good.
mic pre+4 band eq + opto comp + tube output stage.

The only 2 drawbacks are
a) It's heavy about 25 pounds for a single rack space unit

b) it gets a little hot after a while due to the 12 vacume tubes in it.

I own 3 of them and have never had a problem.

I think the design is rupert neve but I am not positive.

avalon and focusrite stuff is great too, but hard to find used/cheap.

good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jubileewoc:
Hi, I'm new to mic pre amps. People have told me to get great vocals on my songs I have to get a good tube pre amp. I've had people tell me to get JoeMeek, and I have had people tell me to get HHB Raduis. Can you guys/gals give me some suggestions? Thanks, Tony<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-25-2000, 11:23 PM

Dean, IMHO, the Mackie VLZs weren't as bad as some people would have you believe (mostly the audiophile types). Also, the GML was very nice ($4000), but was it worth twice as much as an Avalon or a Crane Song? Not in my humble opinion.

I really liked the Crane Song Flamingo myself, the Focusrite ISA 110 was also very nice as was Audio Upgrades and DW Fearn, the Millenia Media and Great River were also contenders and came up high on the list. For some reason the Avalon never came up as a "fave" on the blindfold test. It also was never at the bottom of the list.

I was looking for neutral with punch, and maybe the Avalon is a little "rounder" or "warmer" than what I personally liked - and with that particular mic and voice/guitar. It has it's own character, I guess. It's a very nice preamp, tho', and would work very well in a number of different situations.

I was able to pick out the Mackie and the DBX 386 and 786 (blindfold test) as the less expensive units. I liked the 386 the least - not that it couldn't work well with some mics in some situations. The test used the 386's analog outputs, not the digital outs.

Unfortunately, none of the Focusrite Platinum series, nor Joe Meek or Mindprint Envoice were on the CD.

The thing I learned the most from that CD was the the difference between what I considered "the best" and "the worst" was definitely NOT $3500. There were a LOT of shades of grey - or maybe a better analogy would be a sparkly clean window vs one with a little cigarette smoke on it. Now, do you want that sparkly clean window tinted at all? Are there any dust motes on it?

I think the Mic makes a bigger difference than the preamp. In other words, I think more people (laymen) would hear a difference in switching mics than if you switched preamps.

Also, if you mix a bright mic with a warm preamp, you'll get a different sound than mixing a warm mic with a bright preamp. We're talking real subtleties here.

I think that 98% of the preamps out there over $500 are surprisingly good and you have to decide whether the extra $1000-1500 is worth it for the subtle difference you'll hear.

Just my $.02...

------------------
LW

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 10-25-2000, 11:42 PM

I'm going to disagree with 'lwilliam' even though I know him to be very intelligent. I have had my Manley Monoblock mic pre about 14 hours and I'm floored. My three nicest mics are as follows... Nuemann TLM 103, Rode NT2, AKG C2000B. My nicest pre prior to this mornings' arrival was a Joe Meek VC1Q ($600). The 103 blew away the NT2 & C2000 thru the Meek. Thru the Manley, they all sing! Best $1280 I've ever spent. But what do I know? I do know the TLM 103 is great mic even if it is on the low end of the Nuemann spectrum. Through the Manley I can finally now hear it. If you've got the patience to save up for one, I challenge you to be even remotely disappointed. My 2 cents (credit check pending)...