Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Time to move the Digi001, tips, what to do?

I've reached the point where I'm trying to decide what to do with my 001. I don't use it all that much anymore, so I'm even debating doing nothing. Time to retire the G4 tower it is in, last of the 5v PCI models that it will work in.

Question 1: I've read and I'm not sure, does the 002 have the same passive monitor/volume control feature as the 001 has? In other words, can it pass through inputs passively with a volume control like the 001 does? That's handy for me.

Options:

Sell it on ebay.

Switch over to an older Pee-Cee to run it. I've got one that it will work in, I think.

Step up Exchange to the 002 and go with a Mac Mini (got a hotrodded one with a 2.16ghz Core Duo in it), or use my newer PeeCee. Don't think I want to go buy a MacPro just for the 002 that I'm not really using all that much.

Out of all the Macs on the market now, the Mini would work for me the best. I have a big monitor and stuff, so an iMac is out and like I said, I don't quite want to buy a Mac Pro. But I wonder if the Mini has the horsepower to do the job?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Time to move the Digi001, tips, what to do?

Question 1: I've read and I'm not sure, does the 002 have the same passive monitor/volume control feature as the 001 has? In other words, can it pass through inputs passively with a volume control like the 001 does? That's handy for me.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Well, yes and no. The 002 mixer(not the rack model) has a stand alone mode where it works all by itself(no need to boot the computer or open protools).

I can't comment on the MAC mini so check the MAC forum for performance opinions. If it were my money, I would try to wait a little longer to see if the next big thing(aka 003?) is what you really want. I have no problem with the 002 and think its a darn good product(especially with external pre's and converters) but the runor mill is hot on something new coming and if it turns out to be less than ideal, 002's will still be available for some time. I would be tempted then to just put the entire setup(001 and older MAC) in the closet for a rainy day.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Time to move the Digi001, tips, what to do?

HI,

depending on the exact model of you G4, I might suggest teh following:
use hardware exchange for a 002r and buy a CPU upgrade for you G4,
CPU upgrade have proven to be stable, just take a little bit of time and do a research on the
matter on the DUC.

What´s the exact G4 Model? this might help a lot.

Personaly I am now switching to M-Powered for my G4 and MacBook and sell the 001 on ebay.
It´s a hard decision, since the 001 has sever me very well.
If there where only some coreaudio drivers for 10.4/5 I´d keep it forever.

regs