Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-09-2001, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Are Digi001 preamps good enough for vocs/mics??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by s.d. finley:
001 pres are pretty sterile<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI, the 001 pre's (which use the classic Analog Devices SSM2017 preamplifier chip) were deliberately designed to be colorless, since we have no idea what kind of color the user needs. Just like on a mixing console, the pres need to be general-purpose. If you want more color, you'll want to go with an external preamp. Your mic selection and the type of material you record will strongly influence your choice of preamp, so you may want to rent and try before you buy.

DC
Old 07-10-2001, 12:53 AM

Read: "We were aiming to provide people interested in ProTools with an interface just barely better than what our competitors were offering, and used our reputation to delude the masses to believe our preamps and a/d converters would be beyond that of average pro-sumer caliber, when in fact all along we planned to provide the same old sh|t"

Anyone else remember when the 001 was promised to have focusrite pre's and disctrete a/d converters? Whaddaya know, we get run-of-the-mill pre's and ganged a/d...

And you guys think altivec is just around the corner...
Old 07-10-2001, 02:26 AM

C'mon, if we pick on the Digi guys every time they give us some info, they won't want to post any more. Dave's also not in marketing, but in engineering, so let's give him a break.

I think Dave's right. The 001 pre's are pretty neutral. The Mackie VLZ pre's are also pretty neutral. Neutral can also tend to be a bit "clinical" to some.

Much of what people tend to like in the more expensive preamps IS the color:

the "smoothness" of the Avalons; the "grittiness" and "punch" of the APIs;
the "depth" of the GMLs;
the "transparency" of the Great River and Millenia Media stuff;
the "aggresiveness" of the Neves.
the "warmth" of the Manleys, etc.

Sounds like "color" to me (except for maybe the "transparency" quality)...

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 07-10-2001, 06:35 AM

In regards to the "Kick ***** mic vs. Kick ***** pre-amp" thing as well as the difference between high and low end pre-amps. . .

Björk (whose voice and recordings thereof absolutely do it for me) - I read that she sings into a 58 going through a kick ***** pre-amp (I want to say Crane Song or Great River, but I'm not sure).

So that goes to show you what a really good pre-amp can do to a garden variety mic.

As I understand it (and I think I've said this before somewhere else), spending a few hundred dollars on a pre-amp is going to get you a small but hopefully decent return on your investment in the way of bang for your buck. I've got the Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster, and to my ears it was a nice improvement over my Mackie pre-amps as well as my ART Tube MP.

But the bang for your buck levels off until you spend a grand or more. ah, someday . . .

If a 58 sounds amazing through an incredible pre-amp, imagine what, say, an 87 would sound like through the same . . .

hyp0static
Old 07-10-2001, 08:53 AM

Tip: Put a Telefunken ECC83 (12AX7) in that ART pre, it makes an enormous difference. Check rec.audio.tubes

And I don't care if Digi posts here or not. Until they announce "ProTools update is altivec enabled" they're just blowing hot air, especially the engineers. How long has it been since the G4 was released? Since carbon developer info was made available? Has it been 2 years yet? Yikes G4's are verging on obselecence, and still no altivec. That's simply irresponsible, and any magnanamous crap to make us think that they're competent engineers/marketers is laughable.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:01 PM

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: KamaSutra77 ]
Old 07-10-2001, 03:26 PM

Focusrite Penta looks good. Anyone else have any feedback on it??

Old 07-10-2001, 04:13 PM

Back on the subject....I have to agree with what hyp0static said. I typically use a Mackie mixer and bypass the Digi pres...which are okay, but not spectacular. They do as much as I had expected they would.
I have recently had the opportunity to experience the Joe Meek, Blue Tube and Bellari all at once. And it really is a matter of taste and what you are using them for.
However, a friend of mine recently got 12 channels of pres that came out of a commercial board at the local university salvage store (for $100!!!) I want to say that they are Telefunken (spelling?) but I may be incorrect...that just seems to be the name sticking in my head. Anyway, he came over and let us use them to record drum tracks...basically proving to us that you don't know what you are not hearing, until you hear it.

I can't explain it, but those who have used high end pres will probably relate.

Otherwise- I would have felt that the Mackie pres were as good as anyone needed. Now I know what to put on my wish list.

My two cents.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:44 PM

I haven't found anything wrong with the pre's in the 001. Quiet and neutral, seem to lack a bit of headroom but for most purposes very useable. I think the phantom power is a bit shy of 48 volts from the Digi pre's as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Works ok with most mics, but some higher end condensors may have slightly reduced performance.

If you decide you need another external preamp with a completely different sound to it, the Peavey VMP2 is a winner. Reasonably priced, good sounding and all around does the trick. It's not designed as some kind of "vacuum" tube sound 'warmer', but is a pretty straightforward mic preamp with good overall performance.

Excellent combined with the TLM-103 microphone and the 001.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sugarite:
[QB]Read: "We were aiming to provide (snip)QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were aiming to provide a very good recording package in the 001, and its outstanding sales success shows we did just that. I was just trying to do a service to our customers by informing them about what kind of preamp I chose for the 001 and why. Your reaction motivates me to sign of this BBS permanently.

Over and out.

DC