Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-02-2000, 07:15 AM

Default Re: let\'s talk about microphones

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Sennheiser 609 (replaced the gold 409).
Old 11-04-2000, 02:07 PM

Jim,

I've got two 414's, both a ULS and an EB. They sound so close as to be identical.

I''ve used the TLII at another studio, and I really liked how much brighter it was. It might not work for many applications, but I find my 414's to be very "vanilla". Sort of like a Toyota Supra - very technically competent, but boring. The TLII seemed to have a lot more character.

For a while I also had some very old 414's. They were silver and had mic cords hanging out of them - the mic jack wasn't integrated like on the modern versions. These were completely different animals - bright like the TLII, but almost distorted, in a good sort of way. I regret letting those go. Ordinary 414's don't work very well for vocals, in my opinion.

I've also got a Telefunken U47 (bought long ago before they were $6k!) and it has lots of character. I sometimes need to EQ it to make it sit in a mix, but it's got a fat, almost distorted bottom, plus a top end that can be boosted as necessary without any problems with esses. It's got a great combination of qualities, but I'm not sure that they're worth $6k! It even sounds good pluggged directly into the 001...

My vote would be to equip your locker with mics which have various flavors. Over time, collect mics that are very different from each other. Then when you are confronted with a sound that's just not working, you can say "now for something completely different!" and pull another weird mic from the drawer. They don't have to be expensive, just different.

My $0.02,

Jeff D.

P.S. For an under $1000 "clean" mic I really like the Shure KSM-32 (or 44). I would choose one of these over a 414 unless you require the switchable patterns. I'll also ditto the Lawson mics - an enhancing, fat U47 sound will change your recordings forever.
Old 11-04-2000, 08:54 PM

I surprised no one reccommended the 2000sux.

.......Its my fave, in fact I heared that Arafat has two of them..................

Sorry, I've been watchin too much TV....
Old 11-04-2000, 11:10 PM

The NT2 Is Cheap And Expensive In Sound
Old 11-05-2000, 12:48 AM

Bump...
Anyone able to describe the differences they hear between the various current AKG 414 models? See my earlier post for specifics. Thanks Folks. Jim T.
Old 11-05-2000, 06:51 PM

holy cow DFatz1 !
a tlm103 from imeadiate software for 669!!!
i work at guitar center and our "cost" is in the 700's. how can that be that low? did your mic come in the wooden jewlers box?
is there a search enginge for the lowest price on music gear?
thanks,
rusty
Old 11-05-2000, 07:21 PM

Yes I did get the wooden box w/ the 103. I actually don't remember how I got the site? The next Nuemann that I buy will no dought be bought there though.
Old 11-06-2000, 03:06 AM

there are "bargain" Neumann mics sold in the USA, which are actually "grey market" imports. They are not brought in through the authorized sales channel and sole US importer, which is Neumann USA.

They are purchased directly from germany, taking advantage of the lower price and especially the US Dollar/Duetsche Mark exchange rate.

It is usually the same mic, and usually they are first quality - not rejects or refurbs.

However, they do NOT have a warranty that is valid in the united states. If it breaks or needs service, you'll have to send it back to germany. This is a real big hassle if it happens to you, because you'll have to deal with customs and duties in addition to the shipping.

On the other hand, Neumann products purchased from an authorized dealer in the USA are covered and serviced in the USA by Nuemann USA corporation, in addition they offer outstanding support too.

Just something to think about, and any dealer who sells grey market products should fully disclose what exactly you are getting. Some do, many don't and others outright lie about it. Some dealers will use confusing terms like "international warranty" which doesn't tell that means shipping the dud back and dealing with the warranty situation back in germany.

Old 11-06-2000, 07:50 AM

This is outside the 1000$ range, but very versatile: An A-B set from DPA. I've used them for very different things (in pairs and seperately) - vocal, voice over (no proximity, but all the bottom the voice can provide), choir, electric and acoustic instruments (guitars, guitar amps, flutes, koto, percussion, etc), field recordings, ambience, sound effects, live recordings - from acoustic chamber ensembles in churches to punk concerts in small clubs (PA systems are always problematic with just a pair of mics, tho), etc.

They are more practical for some things than others (for field recordings an MS is more handy, eg), but if you want to capture your source exactly as you hear it, they can't be beat.

They are 130V mics with their own amp which gives me more than 150dB SPL (they come in a phantom version as well, but I just use an adaptor when I want to be mobile). As for filtering: The mics pick up everything so you can always remove anything you don't want (eg simulate other mics), which is easier than the other way around. If you can find a sweet spot these 2 magic sticks are the ones to put there.

Directional mechanical filters are available, but if you record in a place with poor acoustics or if you have undesired leakage from other sources these mics will give you trouble, though. It's gotta sound right before you use them. And allow headroom for the monstrous lows they may pick up in certain situations (or insert a filter) - these mics are _flat_!

This is also the only company I have experienced where the founder called me up months after the purchase just to hear if I was happy with the product ! (No, he didn't just call because he had nothing else to do, and the only other time I have spoken with him is when I bought the mics - there had been a minor problem with one of their mic amps and now he was calling up everyone who owned similar products!)

I was never swimming in money, but I have never regretted this investment and I'm sure these mics will be pivotal in my mic collection until I sign out (which I certainly will sooner than these mics). For now I just have those two and a couple of SM57's. The next one will be directional cause I have all the omni I will ever need.

Check out their Microphone University in case you want to catch up on some basics like the definition of sound:

"Energy that is transmitted by pressure waves in air or other materials and is the objective cause of the sensation of hearing. Commonly called noise if it is unwanted. "

Most of the facts are more useful than that, though
http://www.dpamicrophones.dk/
Old 11-06-2000, 10:32 AM

Anyone tried a Neumann M147 tube condenser? I'm looking for a killer mic for vocals and I found a good price on the 147...$1650. I no its out of the under $1K price range we've been discussing, but I'm curious about this mic. Have used U87's and U67's before and I know they are THE standard vocal mics at many rec. studios. But I can't find one below $2000. Would like to have that Neumann "Cache" in my closet as I know it's a good selling point. This seems like it could be a good alternative. Just wondering what people who have used them think of it.

Thanks,
Steve

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com