Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 PM

Default Re: 2016 Letter to AVID from PTHD user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
And Drawmer Dynamics...
And Serato Rane series...
And TC S6000 plugs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel the same, but it's not going to happen.

Steve
Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM

That is my only gripe with HDX now is all the plugins I used to have as TDM are gone for the most part, and are native only. Which is fine for mixing, but I can't use any of them for tracking.

But there are some things I really like about HDX... like the fact that I can mix 600+ tracks of audio with 3HDX cards on a single machine is pretty amazing, even if I'm not using the DSP for any processing. And I like having thousands of busses at my disposal. For big mixes I usually end up using hundreds of busses, so the unlimited busses was a very good thing for me.

Overall I'm happy with HDX and PT12. I just wish they could convince the plugin manufacturers to start making more DSP versions of their plugins. Right now the ones I use most are Waves, Soundtoys and FabFilter. I always liked to get "mix ready" sounds when tracking but now I'm stuck using stock digi plugins and the Sonnox plugins when tracking... which some are useful and cool, but there are somethings you just can't do with them.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 07-09-2016, 08:31 PM

Agreed, Derek!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:48 AM

I remember when HDX first came out, everyone thought (well, maybe not everyone) that Waves would be supported with AAX DSP versions. Didn't happen. Won't happen. The only major plugin' maker I can think of that has is McDSP. Still, I'm a native user keeping my eyes open for an HDX card if/when the prices plummet to under $1K for the card. Not that it'd do me much good but I like the idea of lower latency and utilizing some power for the mix engine over my HD Native card. With all that native can do, not to mention other DSP options, pricing on HDX is unrealistic these days. HDX was a failure because there wasn't enough incentive for plugin' manufacturers to port plugins over. I'm wondering why someone couldn't design a card and plugin wrapper to offload native aax processing to DSP chips. Now that would be a popular item I think!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 AM

Default 2016 Letter to AVID from PTHD user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
I Still, I'm a native user keeping my eyes open for an HDX card if/when the prices plummet to under $1K for the card.
Me and you think alike....same boat here. I would drop $1,500 on it....and use the hell out of EQ3, and channel strip DSP.

Quote:
With all that native can do, not to mention other DSP options, pricing on HDX is unrealistic these days.
once again agreed......and it's probably so high b/c there isn't enough quantity to bulk buy the chips and drive down the manufacturing costs. It's not like TI is hurting for sales or anything

Quote:
I'm wondering why someone couldn't design a card and plugin wrapper to offload native aax processing to DSP chips. Now that would be a popular item I think!

That would be extremely popular
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:40 AM

I agree in part with what you are saying - but must point out...

The low latency, integration with the DAW (PT) and the quality of the plugins that are available for AAX-DSP is second to none at this time. There really is no mainstream integrated system that does what HDX does. Though meager - Softube, McDsp, Plugin Alliance, Metric Halo and AVID all offer tracking and mixing tools in AAX-DSP. Not what it once was but not zero either.

If you take todays $3K or so price for an HDX card and compare to $1200+ for an HD Native box/card - that is not a very big difference for the centerpiece of your studio (granted that if you need the Sonnett chassis that adds another $750).

Of course there are a lot of alternatives too... but none that are 100% integrated into your DAW and none that hit the Latency numbers of HDX.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM

The one big thing I wish for from AVID for HD users would be a dedicated AVID group to put out high quality (Pro Series equivalent) AAX-DSP plugins. I put a list above and if they released a plugin a quarter and included it in the keep your support plan current deal - this would be a real value for my $399 ongoing expense. Would also love it if they partnered with 3rd parties but that may be just too difficult to do without angering the few that are supporting AAX-DSP.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
The one big thing I wish for from AVID for HD users would be a dedicated AVID group to put out high quality (Pro Series equivalent) AAX-DSP plugins. I put a list above and if they released a plugin a quarter and included it in the keep your support plan current deal - this would be a real value for my $399 ongoing expense. Would also love it if they partnered with 3rd parties but that may be just too difficult to do without angering the few that are supporting AAX-DSP.
Exactly. It's the ongoing expense (vs unique to HD features) of software REQUIRED to run the hardware you've already purchased. We all just want a little HD software love.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM

you HD users need a Bone ... a good bone, not the one up the arse .. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXLTD View Post
Exactly. It's the ongoing expense (vs unique to HD features) of software REQUIRED to run the hardware you've already purchased. We all just want a little HD software love.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-12-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm not an HDX owner/user. How does the latency of the UAD platform compare to HDX? I know it's not as well integrated, but I do know there are some people using UAD for low latency monitoring and FX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
The low latency, integration with the DAW (PT) and the quality of the plugins that are available for AAX-DSP is second to none at this time. There really is no mainstream integrated system that does what HDX does. Though meager - Softube, McDsp, Plugin Alliance, Metric Halo and AVID all offer tracking and mixing tools in AAX-DSP. Not what it once was but not zero either.