Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 AM

Default Broad Pro Tools Questions

This post is rather broad as I have very limited knowledge on Pro Tools and professional recording as a whole right now.

At the moment, I do simple home recording through a Pentium 1.8ghz PC, Line 6 guitar processor, a 8 track mixer, and a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I use soundforge and fruity loops(and vst's galore) to pretty much do everything I need. Not too intense, right? I am now currently interested in taking a more professional and vast approach to it. I've been reading up on engineering and mastering, and noticed Pro Tools being a popular choice.

My main question is this-
I'm considering getting a new computer, specifically for audio recording (Macs sound nice). Can Pro Tools software stand alone and work with the hardware and VST software I already have? Or does it require hardware specifically made to work with it?

In the long run, I would like to get more professional gear, it's just currently I don't have the funds to get what I want immediately. I do plan on getting my dream gear overtime, however. Would it be wise to get Pro Tools software first, learn the program, then build up my home studio with the hardware? I'd like to get the cake first, and put the icing on last. The goal of my studio is to record everything I could make on my own, but ultimately be a little side job to get local artists recorded. Pro Tools a worthy investment?

Sorry the question is so broad. I appreciate any time taken to read and respond to this. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Broad Pro Tools Questions

yes, it will work.

give it a try
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Pro Tools LE requires Digidesign hardware. Pro Tools M*Powered will work with less expensive M*Audio hardware.

Check out the Windows LE forum for suggestions on building a computer suitable for running Pro Tools. Also read the compatibility docs at the link at the bottom of the page.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-09-2006, 01:39 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 AM

What the first responder meant is "no, it WON'T work."

Using Pro Tools software requires using Digidesign hardware.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
...and a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Can Pro Tools software stand alone and work with the hardware and VST software I already have?
Yes, it will work.

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Au...2496-main.html
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
What the first responder meant is "no, it WON'T work."

Using Pro Tools software requires using Digidesign hardware.
your right.

what i meant waas that m-powered will work, but le won't. that's why i gave him a link to m-powered software.