Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM

Default TDM HD Setup and satellite CPUs..

One of the Studios I tech for is having an awful time with VIs and RTAS. I have read all the info about the issues and solutions.
I have finally convinced them to go to Vienna Ensemble Pro to run their VIs. They are willing to set up the system on their main studio computer system.

We are running a Nahalum 12 core with 16 gigs of ram. We are running
OS X 10.6.6 with Pro Tools HD3 8.1. Its rock solid In Audio Only... Takes a dive with running VIs. The system is pushed constantly and the main culprit is Toontrack Superior 2.0 which I know chews up the memory.

Id like to add Vienna Ensemple Pro (VEP) to run everything out of PTs. I was thinking of just adding it to the main CPU but then saw today the new Minis and their price.

So here is my question:

1. Are there any advantages to running VEP on the same computer rather than over Ethernet?

2. If we go with the mini, can I just keep adding minis as the need comes? Like a little mini farm of Audio?

3. What the best place to pick up a Vienna key on the west coast of the US?

Thanks..

Jeff E