Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-15-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Popping and Crackling - the next thread ...

I know, we certainly all have already read and spoken about all the reasons already why this can happen several times in several spots and places, and apart from the fact, that I work as an engineer now over more than a decade, I know that new reasons can occure, I am not aware of.

We sadly have the requirement here to run some 96khz/24bit sessions for score and there is only one NI Kontakt instance open and Pro Tools pops and crackles like hell when I am in recording mode (what means small buffer size).

Of course small buffer means more issues, but this much is far too much for this power machine here with 32 GB Ram (EDIT: 64 GB Ram), upper class Intel processor, SSDs etc. Any ideas what can help apart from what we all knwo and try mostly first including trashing preferences, removing background tasks (which IMHO is pointless in this maching) etc ?

Would love to hear some NEW ideas. It is impossible to record under this circumstances.

--
Windows 10 Pro x64 with Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 10/20 Core(s) - 64 GB Ram - Most hard drives SSD - AVID Pro Tools (Native) - AVID Media Composer - AVID Eucon artist series

Last edited by dgdsu; 05-15-2020 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spec update
Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Popping and Crackling - the next thread ...

HDX or Native?
Is the crackling going to be better if you increase the buffer size?
Is it just with 96khz sessions?
Sync problems?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 AM

Some things to consider:
1-Having "power machine here with 32 GB Ram, upper class Intel processor, SSDs" means nearly nothing because these specs, while fine at first glance, might be worthless if any hardware isn't compatible(I know this has gotten much better in recent years, but posting a Sandra report is way more revealing)

2-Try freezing your Kontact track when you need to run a low buffer(immediately unfreeze once you can go back to a higher buffer).

3-running at 96K might allow you to use a slightly higher buffer setting(depending on your interface connection) so maybe try not going as low as you think you need

4-(don't hate me for this one) Would the world come crashing down if you did your recording at 48K and then used SRC to deliver the 96K product?(would anyone but you notice)

I mention #4 strictly due to my own experience with 96K(99% of my work is happy at 48K). I had a client bring in a 12 song CD project that was recorded at another studio(at 96K) and it brought my system(considered pretty potent at the time) to its knees. I ended up converting everything to 48K and delivered finals that made the client very happy. As it turned out, the recordings were so poorly done, that SRC was the absolute least important of the issues I had to deal with. Turns out the recording engineer was a really good sax player...........

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Run LatencyMon and see what might be causing your issues. I've been experiencing random crackling with 2020.3 and the latest Windows Update. I've uninstalled the plug-ins I've never used, made sure iLok and Waves and whatever else needed to be was updated and done the Trasher/Preferences dance. There is/has been a latency/pops and crackles issue with audio - not just Pro Tools - for a while. You can search for the issue(s) and solutions, such as they are.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Eller View Post
HDX or Native?
Sync problems?
HDX or Native? Good point! I thought I put all info in my profile but I missed that one indeed. It's Native - I changed the profile regarding this! THanks for pointing me to the missing info.

Is it just with 96khz sessions? Yes - 48 and 44.1 are ok.

recording at 48K and then used SRC to deliver the 96K - No way, they run VERY expensive analysis tools to check if it is real 4k and real 96k recorded in, and trust me, they will find out. And, of course, we all agree about the nonsense in most circumstances to run 96k or up, thats why I wrote "We sadly have the requirement here to run some 96khz/24bit sessions" because unless you have to mix and sum an orchestra that rarely makes any sense.

Freezing Kontakt - BTW: I forgot to mention that I tested freezing tracks partly, but it doesn't help.

AND ... I have forgotten the most important part *facepalm* ... sorry Corona Colla(!) ... the most weird thing is that the latency is still too odd to go with. Popping and crackling stops at 1024 plus and recording on lower than 1024 is still too delayed.

Run LatencyMon Interesting! I should check that. Could be a possible reason.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
HDX or Native?
Excellent point, missed that one. Updated my profile info & signature. Sorry for missing that one. I thought I have placed all required infos into my profile.
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Yes.
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 10/20 Core(s) - 64 GB Ram - ASUS Mainboard X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (LGA 2011-v3) - Most hard drives SSD - AVID Pro Tools (Native) - AVID Media Composer Ultimate - AVID Eucon artist series - RME UFX audio interface with integrated Midi interface - ADAM Audio - HEDD audio - Brauner - Klark - Scheps - Neumann - Furmann - Sennheiser ...

Last edited by dgdsu; 05-15-2020 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Some things to consider:
1-Having "power machine here with 32 GB Ram, upper class Intel processor, SSDs" means nearly nothing because these specs, while fine at first glance, might be worthless if any hardware isn't compatible(I know this has gotten much better in recent years, but posting a Sandra report is way more revealing)
Yes, I added my specs on a rush while I usually know that more info is more helpful here. Updated. Added more info in my profile and signature - but a Sandra report will surely reveal more. I just didn't wanted to overload in the beginning but if the details become required I surely will do this ASAP. Good point!

Quote:
2-Try freezing your Kontact track when you need to run a low buffer(immediately unfreeze once you can go back to a higher buffer).
Checked all possible track freezing options allowed for this minor session. (That's what I meant with "tried the obvious things")

Quote:
3-running at 96K might allow you to use a slightly higher buffer setting(depending on your interface connection) so maybe try not going as low as you think you need.
Sadly no. What I missed to point out is that I even at 512 still have too much delay to record. Crackling stops at 1024.

Quote:
4-(don't hate me for this one) Would the world come crashing down if you did your recording at 48K and then used SRC to deliver the 96K product?(would anyone but you notice)
Don't hate you for this I totally agree on the overrated hi-res buzz unless you sum and mix a big orchestra (what I sometimes do!) but in this case sadly upscaling is no option since they run very expensive analysis hardware to check if they get delivered real 4K and real 96k material. And trust me, they will know. ;-)

Quote:
I mention #4 strictly due to my own experience with 96K(99% of my work is happy at 48K). I had a client bring in a 12 song CD project that was recorded at another studio(at 96K) and it brought my system(considered pretty potent at the time) to its knees. I ended up converting everything to 48K and delivered finals that made the client very happy. As it turned out, the recordings were so poorly done, that SRC was the absolute least important of the issues I had to deal with. Turns out the recording engineer was a really good sax player...........
No sax here Just big studio engineering experience struggling with the newer way of working in tiny booths :-P And agreed, if you know your math you can get away with good results in upscaling, but DO NOT forget to work in strict devider maths
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 10/20 Core(s) - 64 GB Ram - ASUS Mainboard X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (LGA 2011-v3) - Most hard drives SSD - AVID Pro Tools (Native) - AVID Media Composer Ultimate - AVID Eucon artist series - RME UFX audio interface with integrated Midi interface - ADAM Audio - HEDD audio - Brauner - Klark - Scheps - Neumann - Furmann - Sennheiser ...
Old 05-15-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Run LatencyMon and see what might be causing your issues. I've been experiencing random crackling with 2020.3 and the latest Windows Update. I've uninstalled the plug-ins I've never used, made sure iLok and Waves and whatever else needed to be was updated and done the Trasher/Preferences dance. There is/has been a latency/pops and crackles issue with audio - not just Pro Tools - for a while. You can search for the issue(s) and solutions, such as they are.
Ah! Yes. Good point! Will check LatencyMon - and yeah, cleaning out some unused plugins is always worth doing, no matter what. Forgot that one. Thanks for bringing back to mind!

PS: You guys are awesome. Very nice and active community! Take care and stay safe!
Old 05-16-2020, 06:30 AM

Superior Drummer 3 causes this for me. As I build a session around this VST I start to get pops, crackles etc. Once I get to a certain point I have to print the drums to get it to stop. It causes a bit of a panic and I have to check certain points in the track where I hear the problem and replay those parts to make sure it's a VST thing or if there is actually noise picked up in the tracking process. The noise does not show up in the printed tracks by the way. Just in the playback when Superior is in active midi driven mode.

Another curious thing, it doesn't even start until I add UAD plugins. Then the problem with Superior begins. I have a very powerful machine I9 with 32GB of Ram, 12 cores, multiple hard drives, thunderbolt, Lynx Aurora (n). I need the lower latency setting for tracking so have to live with it if I am doing any quick mock ups with plugins to see where the sound is headed.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Superior Drummer 3 causes this for me.
Thanks for your time reporting your issue with crackling but we should keep each "case" individually to not make answering and tracking down issues complex. Your experience seems to be an interesting one, especially for those running a similar setup like you, so - If I am allowed to suggest - you should open another thread for your case and for others to chime in on this.

Have a nice weekend and stay safe!

Last edited by dgdsu; 05-16-2020 at 11:47 PM. Reason: very misleading typo (sorry) threat > thread