Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 PM

Default How to change individual wave height ?

Okay I know how to change the height of the waves on all my tracks but how do I change just one or a selection of tracks ?
I'l record something on a track and the wave will look fine, I'll then move it to another track and the wave will get tiny and I can't see a thing.

I've looked everywhere for this function and can't find it.

This has started happening in PT 7 series... I don't remeber anything like it before that.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: How to change individual wave height ?

Quote:
Okay I know how to change the height of the waves on all my tracks but how do I change just one or a selection of tracks ?
Choose that track or selection of tracks and set them all to the same height.
Quote:
I'l record something on a track and the wave will look fine, I'll then move it to another track and the wave will get tiny and I can't see a thing.
Is the track you are moving it to tiny to begin with?

v7.3.1cs2 has what are called Zoom Toggle preferences. These might address your issue (I haven't spent too much time with them).
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 PM

It's the track heigth. One track is probably at Extreme and another at Tiny.

I realize you are new but this is a question that most will just roll their eyes at because it's like a 'first day with PT' question. I wouldn't put something like this in the TDM section either since I'll bet my right arm this is an LE or M powered system.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM

Actually this is a legit problem. I have the same problem on my TDM system. I can take an audio file and duplicate it to another track set at the same track height but the wave form within the track is much smaller. It's the exact same audio file on two separate tracks, both set at for instance "Large" height.

It really is annoying. I would love to find a solution to this, it drives me nuts.

I can't find anywhere how to change the "individual" audio waveform zoom height within a track.

Chad
iMac 27"
3.4 GHZ 8 Core i7
8 gigs of ram
003 Factory

Chad Evans
Chief Engineer
Gaither Studios
Owner/Operator Big Mix Productions
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 PM

Use the vertical zoom buttons to first zoom all tracks out to the smallest possible waveforms, and then zoom in again to your liking.
It might be possible to Option-click any of the zoom buttons to reset current zoom values, but this I can't remember.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:46 PM

If you have the zoom tool selected, just hold down the control key, place the zoom tool over the track's waveform you wish to zoom and click and drag up or down. This will change the waveform height for that track only.

I wish there was a button or pref that would force all tracks to be the same height like it was up until version 7. I can see why the new behavior might have its uses, but for my workflow it is a real bummer.

As far as I know there is no way to reset all track heights to the same magnification unless you zoom all way in or out.

STeve
Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 AM

To force all waveforms to the same relative height either hold down shift+command and click the "audio zoom in" triangle at the top of the edit window, or select the zoomer tool and hold down shift+control and click and drag vertically on a waveform to snap all regions to same realtive height. As someone said above, select zoomer while holding down control then drag vertically will change an individual region waveform height.

Edit: I am in PT 7.2 cs2, not sure about 7.3
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Hey Chad,

I'm having the exact same problem with my LE systems, but not on my TDM system. Yes, I can duplicate a track and with everything exactly the same on both tracks--including track height---the duplicated waveform is much smaller than the original. AND if you keep duplicating the track multiple times, the waveform gets smaller and smaller with each new track...I eventually got the waveform to become a straight line.

I started a post on this problem in the LE section several months ago but noone from Digi really cared about looking into this problem.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks Bill and Steve for the "as good as it gets" answer. It'll work for now. ;-)

No thanks to chief technician who didn't understand my question. ;-p

I've been using PT for almost 10 years now (used Sound Designer when that came out) and this was not a stupid question as I couldn't find the answer in any manuals or online and have asked this questions to many pro engineers (like me) and none had the answer (but all wanted to know).

This did appear in 7.1 or so all of a sudden and I'm still trying to figure out why some tracks have a certain set wave height and others will have a different one when I'm just creating them the same way. It annoys the hell out of me.

I'm glad I finally found this forum. Too bad it's not indexed in google.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Same problem for me, but on Windows, HD1, 7.3.1 version.

So, the same topic could be open in Windows main thread too. And I want to know the answer how to fix the thing too. And is making mess of my workflow too. And I've been using PT for almost 6 years now, and it started after 6.9 version too (jumped from 6.9 to 7.3).

It is fun to sometimes open the sesion, then minimize them all with zoomer tool, open new track, copy something inside and then unzoom everything