Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Question Pro Tools 8 Windows 7 Mbox 2 HELP

Hello I need help fixing the DAE error i constantly get. It tells me to remove some plugins or increase cpu usage limit.

My machine is an Acer Aspire 5735Z with an Intel Dual Core Pentium CPU T3200 @ 2.00 Ghz with 2gb of ram.

My system type is Windows 7 64-bit operating system

Im running Pro Tools 8 with an Mbox 2 Pro.

I ordered the ram upgrade for my computer 2 2gb sticks should be here by Thursday.

I was wondering if this will fix my problem. If not would it at least help my issue any. If thats not the case what can I do to have Pro Tools running like it should without those errors.

PLEASE HELP
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 Windows 7 Mbox 2 HELP

Are you using the same hard drive as the operating system? It is recommended to use a seperate external hard drive with your laptop. Supposedly it can't be a USB 2.0, only firewire or E-Sata if you have those. Also, that processor is pretty weak, I have a Core 2 Duo (2.6 GHz) on my desktop and I still get some cpu issues... so that would probably be more of an issue than the RAM. The RAM will probably help but the CPU will still be a limiting factor.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Yeah I suppose im using the same hard drive. I do have a usb 2.0 250gb external hard drive, but what kind of hard drive should i be looking to buy and how much money does it usually cost? Nd my processor if ibuy this external drive would I still need to get a new processor? Thank you for responding I appreciate it alot!! Thank you for all your help.

So if you were in my situation what would be the best thing to do to get pro tools running smoothly. Also an estimate of how much all this is gonna cost would be nice to THANK YOU SOO MUCH
Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramtsupak View Post
Are you using the same hard drive as the operating system? It is recommended to use a seperate external hard drive with your laptop. Supposedly it can't be a USB 2.0, only firewire or E-Sata if you have those. Also, that processor is pretty weak, I have a Core 2 Duo (2.6 GHz) on my desktop and I still get some cpu issues... so that would probably be more of an issue than the RAM. The RAM will probably help but the CPU will still be a limiting factor.
Actually, according to Avid... USB 2.0 is recommended over FireWire because Win7 apparently 'broke' FW, but improved USB 2.0.

You do, however, want at least a 7200RPM drive, which most boxed external drives are not.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Good to know about the USB 2.0 thing I wasn't aware of that. As for the processor, it is not usually upgradable on a laptop, unfortunately With a laptop you are usually stuck with what you purchased. As far as I know, that PC also has integrated graphics which is also a downside, but I'm not sure if that would interfere with your running of Pro Tools. Truthfully, I wouldn't try to use this computer; you will spend as much as a new laptop to upgrade it... If that is not an option, the increased RAM and an external hard drive might get you started but you will probably still have some CPU usage errors. As the other post stated, you need a 7200 RPM hard drive which is rare on an external box, so you may have to go with enclosure that you can put an internal drive of that speed inside (an example here) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173042

Here is another link about upgrading your processor:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5200724AAQHmN5

You will have to buy the internal hard drive and enclosure separately, but drives are usually < $100

If anyone has tried this and has had success or objects to this method, PLEASE let me know because I am only going of my knowledge of computers and what should work... I have not tried this myself w/ Pro Tools.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Onec again I appreciate the responses Thank you for the help! The harddrive or the box on the newegg link. What will that necessarilly do for my computer and pro tools im confused as to what the box is and what its used for. Is it just for storage or does it act like a processor.

And if i cant upgrade my laptops processor what will be the next best thing to do.

I really would hate to have to spend the money on another computer espescially at a time where money is very tight and thats why im trying to get pro tools running effectivly on this laptop. But if there are really no options for this laptop, I guess my next question would be what machine should I buy and whats the lowest to high the machine can cost.

So working with what I got, what would I need to have Pro Tools run normally on my computer. the 7200 rpm what does that stand for
And with this knowledge now, is there anything I can do to have pro tools run normally. This external drive and ram would do that for me?

If worse comes to worse and I really need to get a new machine I wouldnt want to spend a fortune. What are some machines Id be able to use and not have to spend a fortune on to run Pro Tools 8 and SSL Waves
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM

You are very welcome! If money is tight I would stick with the PC you have and make the best of it, because the computer you need would probably be $1000 minimum. The separate hard drive will help, just the fact that it is dedicated to Pro Tools and isn't tied up by the operating system and the rest of your computer is a nice benefit. The box (in the link I sent you) lets you install a hard drive inside it which will increase your storage space, but for you it is not for that purpose; it is to have a hard drive dedicated to Pro Tools for better performance. This WILL NOT increase your processing power, nothing is capable of doing that short of a new processor. But, the next best thing is to keep your CPU usage as minimal as possible to make the most of what you do have!

This is accomplished by running your PC with as little extra stuff as possible; so no open programs, turn off your networking and wireless while you work, nothing on your sidebar, exit your virus protection (after you are no longer connected to the internet), stop any programs from starting up that you don't need, anything that you can think of!

Back to the hard drive, the 7200 RPM is how fast the drive spins. The faster it spins, technically the faster it can access your files. This is a specification you will find on internal and external hard drives. If you can find an EXTERNAL hard drive that is 7200 RPM or higher, you do not need the enclosure I pointed you too. BUT as Dan pointed out, this isn't common. The next best thing is to buy an enclosure similar to what I showed you, and pick out an INTERNAL hard drive to put inside.

These errors many times depend on how hard you push your computer and Pro Tools...
With the more tracks you play at once, and the more Plug-Ins running at once, you will max out your CPU's processing power at some point.

Finally, buying another low-end machine will not accomplish anything...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks man so much for this help im seeing things a bit more clearly now! So the link you sent me. If I was to buy that box I would also need to buy that hard drive would I be able to buy that harddrive at the speed i would need on newegg.& do I just save all my files and sessions to theyre or would I uninstall pro tools as a whole off my C harddrive and reinstall it on that harddrive in the link?

Once again I thank you both for all the help you have given me!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Hey I was looking around on some more information about my issue. And to anybody who needs any help theyre are a few links below. These links are to youtube videos of troubleshooting and optimizing Windows 7 & Pro Tools 8.

I followed the videos step by step on a couple basic steps and honestly Pro Tools has never run this well. It mite be to soon to say, but usually before today when I would get into a session latency dae errors etc would start immediatly in record or play back mode. I was just able to listen to 3 full sessions with waves and digi rtas plugins with out any stops or errors. My ram has not came in yet so my machine is still on 2gb but I honestly was surprised in the difference I saw after following these steps.

Thank you for the 2 dudes who helped me and I hope these links can help somebody else like they have helped me=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzS6L...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3Tx...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obSfE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vic2dcWAdEk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoSU4...eature=related
Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 PM

That's awesome you got it working! And the RAM should make it even more responsive.

If you did the new hard drive thing you would need to leave Pro Tools installed the way you have it, but use the new drive to save all of your sessions. This allows Pro Tools to run on your main drive, and all your audio files have their own hard drive.

No problem, glad I could help. I checked out those links and they were pretty useful; I'm still trying to get Pro Tools installed on my windows 7 PC so those will actually help