Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 06-16-2011, 01:59 AM

Default Quick Laptop CPU question...

I've been running pretty happily on an ASUS N71JQ since traversing to PT9. It's on the Avid approved list so I haven't had to sort out the bugs hardware wise. These have an Intel i7-720qm 1.6-2.8 w/turbo boost CPU 6MB cache which is generally more than adequate but I occasionally find myself running up against the wall on larger sessions that have alot of plugs/VI's etc and sometimes have to raise my buffer setting farther than I'd like. I am running 8GB of RAM.

I've found a decent deal on an Intel i7-920xm 2.0-3.2 w/turbo boost CPU 8MB cache that is compatible for this machine and would give me a 25% boost in clock speed.

Other than spending a few bucks (and voiding what's left of my warranty...heh...) all I've got to lose is the time doing it. Plus side is I gain some extra headroom with an already capable laptop and maybe a bit longer service life.

I am thinking the 25% bump in clock speed and extra 2MB cache would make a significant enough difference to warrant the expense and effort but I don't want to waste either if not. Can anybody with a bit more tech knowledge/experience help me out?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Quick Laptop CPU question...

IMHO I think you would notice more of an improvement in running your VI's in Reaper or Vienna within PT. You would then be accessing all of your 8GB of RAM whereas the upgrade in your cpu is still going to leave you accessing only around 4GB.

Again IMHO, If you do upgrade the cpu only, the difference will be marginal. A 25% increase in clock speed is not going to translate into a 25% increase in performance of PT.

Having said that, surely there would be some performance boost. The question is how much?

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the help. I considered Reaper but I am not running into a memory issue, I am hitting around 3GB or less usually.

I was hoping to see some increase in PT on the CPU side. I realize that clock speed differential does not always correlate the way you'd think in real world usage but you never know. I was thinking someone may have had some experience with the 720qm and the 920xm or some feasible comparison. Even if it's 15% in real use it might be sufficient.

Just trying to be wise in moving forward. I could do a desktop build and it would be a non-issue but the convenience and portability of the laptop is perfect for my purposes at the moment.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Anybody else have some thoughts here?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think any increase in CPU power is good especially if your getting it at a decent price. All I'm saying is that I don't think the noticeable difference will be huge.

The most critical usage with plugs & VI's is in the RAM department so any increase here will be more noticeable.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 PM

My memory is maxed on this at 8GB 1333 mhz, I'm hitting maybe 3GB at the most there. The wall I am bumping is the CPU. I could work around easily but I've got some CPU hungry plug-ins I have become quite fond of lately. Being the incessant tinkerer I am I plan on doing a swap. I don't need a huge increase, just a bit more headroom for some stuff I am working on.

In all it's a nice machine, I've tracked 16 tracks simultaneous up to 64 total at a 64 buffer with no issues, not bad for an i7 720qm in a mobile laptop.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Picked up an i7 940xm instead. Installed and up and running after working out a few bugs along the way.

Dverb 2.0 went from 157 to 205, about 30%. That's obviously not the numbers the newer desktop builds are putting out but I need a mobile solution and this has proved a very stable machine in all other aspects. I could probably squeeze a few more if I shut Aero off and got more aggressive with Win7 optimizing. A bit of OC'ing would probably push it up another 30% but as is that is a nice jump from the 720qm and works for me. Did a quick live tracking test and it'll pull 16 simultaneous tracks up to the 96 limit for audio @ 64 buffer with no issues, it was hanging around 64 tracks prior.

Nice thing about the 940xm is that it is open and accessible with Throttlestop so it can OC easily if needed, unlike the 720qm in these machines which is pretty much locked. I've seen some guys reporting 3.5 stable on all 4 cores. I probably won't try that but it has some nice headroom if needed. I was a little worried about heat but it's actually running a few degrees cooler than the 720qm, probably due to the AS5 thermal paste. WEI went for 6.4 to 7.3 for CPU and RAM went from 7.4 to 7.5.

So far so good, these machines seem to hotrod rather nicely.