Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-28-2001, 05:42 PM

Default DC30plus driver problems

G4-466/384 megs ram
PT TDM 5.1.1
320/240 miromotion JPEGA capture, etc.

A couple of months ago I moved the PT rig from a 9600 to G4. At that time I was running DC30plus, with 1.1.2 drivers and premiere 4.2.1

For a short time it worked in the new rig with 1.2.1 drivers from DC30 plus. Then it suddenly stopped working. I went through a heap of DC30plus driver/ Premiere settings/ permutaions and was forced to upgrade to premeire 6.0 (leapfrogged over 5.1 because it was unavailable). This has been my primary source of pain with the rig as of late.

Our objective (because of the room setup and client viewing) is to be able to get a clean picture on the second computer monitor and at the same time on a video monitor.

I do not belive this to be related to the digitizing settings, because I went through many permutations of Premiere settings and the results were the same regardlsess of Premiere settings. Instead I beleive it to be DC30 Driver related. I have found 2 combinations that "kind of" work, but to boil it down here are the two not so optimum setups, both with their own set of problems:

Option 1.) DC30Plus 2.0 drivers -- Plays on both monitors. TV picture clean, Quicktime picture sluggish in and outside of PT. and is corrupted on lower 1/15th of picture, even if played right with Quicktime movie viewer, or Pemiere. Corruption occurs regardless of which drivers or which version of Premiere were in place during digitizing. For example even older video clips originally digitized in 4.2.1 play back this way with 2.0 drivers.

Option 2.) DC30Plus 1.21 drivers -- Premeire 6 will not function properly with this driver. 5.1 not commercially available. Control strip which allows toggle between Mac and video does not function properly. Will not actually toggle. Instead setting must be made, then movie must be re-imported for toggle switching to take effect. In movie to mac mode, movie plays on Mac flawlessly, but no picture to video. In movie to video toggle, movie plays on both computer and video , but during PT nudge picture has distracting white flashes on Mac screen , but continues to look fine on video screen. Automatic mode in DC30 control stip module same as video settings.

Any ideas?

-Mike
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-02-2001, 11:52 AM

Default Re: DC30plus driver problems

Anyone?

this post was getting lost in the shuffle
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-02-2001, 11:53 AM

Anyone?

this post was getting lost in the shuffle
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-02-2001, 07:34 PM

The DC-30+ is working fine for me in a 733 Quicksilver with the version 2.0 drivers. My only issue with is is -6042 errors in really big sessions.

I wonder if you might have a hardware problem. Have you tried re-seating the card? Do you know anyone near you that has another DC-30+ that you could try?

Also, have you upped the memory in Movie Player?

Have you tried playing the QT movie back on the first, rather than second monitor (I seem to recall some issue with dual monitor set-ups). Does the size of the QT playback window have any effect on the problem?

Lee Blaske
Old 10-03-2001, 02:54 PM

Lee, Thanks for your response. A lot of good ideas to try
Here is what I have learned:
We like to run our picture on the right monitor. In regards to switching picture to other monitor, we actually have been running the right monitor as monitor one, because of a strange visual misalignment in the video window border, and where the video sits. On monitor 2, it was off and to the right of its border by about 3/4 of an inch, and it was distrracting, so some time ago I phsyically swapped the position of two and one, and then reconfigured output in monitor settings window. Oddly enough that solved that problem. Despite that, I took your adivice and put the edit window on monitor 1 (our right monitor) and put the picture on monitor 2 ( our left monitor) and no improvement.

I also took your advice about movie player (we have Quicktime player 5.0) and bumped up the ram setting substantially. No luck in Quicktime player, same artifacts. Also I was curious, even if that did help in Quicktime player, how would that help in Protools? It doesn't actually open Quicktime player when it runs in Protools.

The harware idea is a good theory. I'll see if I can find one to borrow. But, I also know the corruption does not happen with driver 1.21 -- just other annoyances.

Lastly,
I tried getting technical support From Pinnacle/Miro. After waing a week for a response here is what they sent me:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> There is no email or phone support for the MiroMotion DC30. If you have
any questions regarding this discontinued product, please visit our
website under Support.
Pinnacle System's MiroMotion DC30 for the Macintosh platform is
currently a discontinued product.

This product is not compatible with the new G4 computers and most new G3
processor upgrades .

The MiroMotion DC30 is not compatible with Premiere 6.0 or Final Cut Pro
2.0 software. The MiroMotion DC30 is also not compatible with OS X.

No new drivers are planned nor scheduled.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks again -- I'll keep on it

Mike
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-03-2001, 08:19 PM

Further update -- (for those of you keeping track).

I'm using Promax card. They are now offering a beta 2.1 driver. In the Read Me it mentions that the driver has been tweaked "Quick Time accleration has been changed to provide better performace when used with uncompressed hardware cpature cards." Does not apply to me, but I did notice the smallest of improvements with DH-Max driver 2.1b. Still a problem though.
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-06-2001, 02:45 PM

New theory -- This is DH-MAX related.

As a test, I am going to remove DH-MAX and drivers and put in original single head card, and drivers, and check performance.

I can't do it 'till tomorrow, but I'll update

-mike
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-08-2001, 11:08 PM

Update -- DH-MAX not the source of sluggish Quicktime. I swapped out DH-MAX with original ATI and drivers., and problem persisted. So I put DH-Max and drivers back.

B.T.W., does anyone know which of the Quicktime extensions are essential for Quicktime playback and Protools. Are there any I can dump? Would doing so help performance?

Any more insight on my original problem would help as well

-Mike
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfpost.com
www.tfpost.com