Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-03-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Some 5.1 questions

We're in the process of configuring 2 PTHD rooms for TV Post, Radio, Corporate, and "Entertainment (direct to video/DVD)" audio. I'm looking for opinions to help me finalize some bids.

01:
I've seen so many alternate monitoring solutions (Martinsound, Tascan, Studio technologies, etc.), yet the ProControl is 5.1 capable. Is it feasable to do occasional 5.1 work with just the Procontrol or is a seperate monitor controller the only way to go?

02:
The Genelec 1029.LSE PowerPak is just strong enough to fill my Control room (according to the specs). They seem pretty tiny. My 1031a's are plenty loud enough for my room. If I go with the PowerPak (or similar smaller 5.1/sub combo), should I keep the 1031a's?

03:
My plan is to be ready for any curveballs thrown my way while getting ready for 5.1. I am aware that the best way to go is with Dolby hardware encoders/decoders, but price is a huge issue. Are software encoders a viable alternative for non-film work?

Thanks in Advance,

Frank
Old 01-04-2003, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Some 5.1 questions

Quote:
Originally posted by spigots:
We're in the process of configuring 2 PTHD rooms for TV Post, Radio, Corporate, and "Entertainment (direct to video/DVD)" audio. I'm looking for opinions to help me finalize some bids.

01:
I've seen so many alternate monitoring solutions (Martinsound, Tascan, Studio technologies, etc.), yet the ProControl is 5.1 capable. Is it feasable to do occasional 5.1 work with just the Procontrol or is a seperate monitor controller the only way to go?
I fyou're doing only single stem 5.1, the PC will be just OK....Any kind of stem work, and you need a Monitor Controller. Also, the PC won't do downmixes for you ,and that is one of the most crucial steps in Mixing 5.1-making sure it will survive the downmix to Stereo, or even mono. My vote is for a separate Monitor controller.
Quote:

02:
The Genelec 1029.LSE PowerPak is just strong enough to fill my Control room (according to the specs). They seem pretty tiny. My 1031a's are plenty loud enough for my room. If I go with the PowerPak (or similar smaller 5.1/sub combo), should I keep the 1031a's?
that's kinda subjective, No? I would get speakers that can expand as you grow....what's more is you may want to look into THX PM3 certification, so make sure whatever you get is on their list (If you are so inclined...). I would get the best monitoring you can afford-It's just too crucial to pass this over.

Quote:

03:
My plan is to be ready for any curveballs thrown my way while getting ready for 5.1. I am aware that the best way to go is with Dolby hardware encoders/decoders, but price is a huge issue. Are software encoders a viable alternative for non-film work?
the software encoders will encode .Ac3 files fine, however, many authoring houses will NOT accept any non TC stamped .AC3 Files.
At the current time there is only 1 software encoder that claims to encode TC in the file, but I am currently testing it to see if it works. I will post back with the results.
For Film work, Dolby will be Printmastering the job anyway, so that's not a large concern; rather your .ac3 encoding will focus on Video work, so I say have the hardware encoders. You can also rent these at lots of rental places. You may get grief with software encoders. Besides, wouldn't you want to determine the sync rather than some video authorer who couldn't see sync to save his life anyway? Also, most of those guys work with LCD computer displays, which have a built in latency of a couple frames (Yup!!!!), so if they place the .Ac3 file by eye, it'll be out every time, nd that ultimately means grief for you.

Hope this helps-
-Todd A.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:48 AM

Todd,

Thanks as always for your response. It is truely wonderful that someone with your knowledge is willing to share it for free with strangers. Thanks again.

Frank
Old 01-05-2003, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Todd,

Thanks as always for your response. It is truely wonderful that someone with your knowledge is willing to share it for free with strangers. Thanks again.

Frank
That's very kind of you to say, Thank you.
Good Luck!!!
-Todd
Old 01-06-2003, 10:07 AM

Hi Todd !

As you seem to be the guy to talk to about surround, which monitor controller would you recommend in addition to my PC ?
Does the Edit Pack necessary to start ?
I can't make my mind between all the differenet makers.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Besides, I don't think I'll be handling multiple stems in the studio, just basic 5.1 tracks for videogame' cinematics, music.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquarius:
Hi Todd !

As you seem to be the guy to talk to about surround, which monitor controller would you recommend in addition to my PC ?
Does the Edit Pack necessary to start ?
I can't make my mind between all the differenet makers.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Besides, I don't think I'll be handling multiple stems in the studio, just basic 5.1 tracks for videogame' cinematics, music.

Thanks.
If all you're doing is single Composite 5.1 Mixes, then the PC by itself will be adequate; although I don't particularly care for he overall sound of the electronics, it will work. edit pack adds surround MIXING functionality to your PT system, so that not really a monitoring issue, although Joysticks are always nice. i think the meters on the edit pack are kinda useless-ballistics don't seem to match anything I've seen, and they're not on the Output of PT, so I think they're of limited usefulness...but that's my opinion, and others may differ.
I would stick w/ PC in your case. The MultiMax or the Tascam are a bit overkill, unless you want to spend the money (I think it's money well spent..).
Hope this helps-
Todd A.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:40 AM

Hi Todd !

Thanks for your opinion, I think I'll go with the Tascam as I already own a DA-98.
It seems to be a nice "budget" box !