Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
+1 I think they should have at least some sort transition period so users had enough time to absorb the coming changes....
^That there is what is ruffling my feathers, anyway^

I've paid for major point upgrades since version 7.0 and a cross grade from M-Powered to LE. Anywhere from $50 to $150 as I recall. Just budgeted for them. Of course CS releases (bug fixes) were free, but any enhancements were typically point updates and were paid for.

Also, if y'all recall, the maintenance and support yearly fee for PT Standard started out as $199. Then it got split to the to upgrades and support and additional plugins, as I recall, when it dropped to $99 for each.

Anyway, I don't like spending more money anymore than the next feller, but in the overall scheme, $199 per year for PT Standard ain't all that much.

Granted, the whole idea of the annual upgrade fee was to keep upgrades coming faster, which ain't materialized at all. That is a separate, yet related issue.

The lack of transition time does smack of desperation though. Coincide with Avid's fiscal year? Perhaps.

If this is your business, it should be included in the cost of doing business and addressed in your financial plan. If it is your hobby, well it is still cheaper than golf for the year.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Not valid in all states. Prolonged use could cause giggles.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Avid called features the "seamless playback", "name tracks faster!!!!" (a feature that is NOT a standard DAW components/catch up, right??, LOL), "1000 Midi Tracks", holly cow, now we're talking!
In fairness, basic quality of life enhancements like the deeply customizable I/O layout, track naming efficiencies and single button shortcuts are the main reasons Pro Tools appeals to me.

To everyone enthusiastic about S1, have you been able to replicate the command focus shortcuts of Pro Tools' edit window? (Trim before/after insertion, fade in/out from insertion, drag-select F for x-Fade, etc. . .)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 AM

FWIW, I tried Studio One over the last few days as a possible alternative to PT but it didn’t perform as well on my setup:

I’m running an 2018 MBP / Mojave with 32GB RAM connected to an RME Babyface Pro, not the highest spec’ed but no slouch either... Studio One started chocking up / chopping up audio (as if i couldn’t keep up) while playing few VIs at 128 buffer size. At 256 they played fine. I went back and forth few times between 128 and 256 with same result.

I exported those tracks to midi and imported them into a new PT session running on the same setup, loaded the exact same VIs with same patches, and they played flawlessly without any problem at 128.

This is a fresh install of latest Studio One 4.5 Professional... I’m not excluding the possibility that there is something specific to my system causing this (maybe it works better on Windows?), or that there might be some settings that needs to be changed, but out of the box, it doesn’t really perform as good as PT at lower latency...

I wish it did, i like a lot of the things it does better than PT (drag and drop, gui, etc.) and it could have been the perfect cross-grade at this time, but unfortunately, for my needs, it’s not a viable alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
If you go back and read what I wrote the only thing that's "like" Pro Tools is the shortcuts.

Everything else I stated is "better" than Pro Tools. In fact to get the monitoring performance I'm seeing in S1 you'd have to upgrade to HDX since TDM was killed off years ago.

Being a valid option isn't necessarily being like pro tools.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Because of a heavy gig schedule I won’t be able to dig into S1 till maybe next week but there are plenty of S1 users that switched from PT that are making it work.
When I switched from Logic 9 to PT exclusively there were plenty of things I could do more efficiently in Logic 9 than PT now it’s the opposite because I have no time really on Logic X.
So it’s all about having trigger time in a particular DAW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Here's a tidbit...Avid' Cashflow DROPPED from a high at year end 2018 from just under $21 Million to just under $7 Million end of 1st Qtr 2019. Cashflow in the TWO previous Qtrs, 2nd and 3rd 2018, were Negative...about $12 Million combined. They're also over $400 Million in Debt.

https://quotes.wsj.com/AVID/financials

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM

This is some shady stuff right here! The FAQ in the announcement sticky just posted at the top states the following:

4. WILL AVID STILL OFFER UPDATE PLAN REINSTATEMENTS?
Yes. For specific eligibility please check with your Avid Account representative or local reseller.

If you read that closely and then look at the pricing attachment they put at the bottom you can assume there will be no reinstatement for vanilla.

Why don't they just come out and say that?
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:26 PM

What do you care? You’re moving to your beloved S1

Quote:
This is some shady stuff right here! The FAQ in the announcement sticky just posted at the top states the following:

Yes. For specific eligibility please check with your Avid Account representative or local reseller.

If you read that closely and then look at the pricing attachment they put at the bottom you can assume there will be no reinstatement for vanilla.

2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-27-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I feel they want to keep us in the dark on reinstatement.
They really want to force Vanilla users in a subscription plan.
If you don’t subscribe double the yearly fee.

We’re paying for hope. Hopefully they’ll have killing update at some point. Whether we subscribe or renew perpetual.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 PM

5. IS PRICING FOR PRO TOOLS AND PRO TOOLS ULTIMATE UPDATE PLAN REINSTATEMENT STAYING THE SAME?
Yes, these Upgrades remain at their current prices ($299 USD and $999 USD respectively).

Does this mean you can reinstate pro tools vanilla for 299$? Or I understand it wrong?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Avid

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
I feel they want to keep us in the dark on reinstatement.
They really want to force Vanilla users in a subscription plan.
If you don’t subscribe double the yearly fee.

We’re paying for hope. Hopefully they’ll have killing update at some point. Whether we subscribe or renew perpetual.

Hello jpsexton and seebee62,

Perhaps you missed the next QA pair under that? #5 says Reinstatement for Pro Tools and Pro Tools Ultimate is unchanged.

Best regards,
JC