Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Default Pro Tools Is Critically Low On Memory

I've been getting this "Critically Low on Memory" a lot since I upgraded to 8. I purchased a new hard drive and installed Leopard. Then I installed PT8. I'm running a Mac Pro with a 2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel. With softsynths, it happens for frequently, but I removed all of my synths and RTAS plugs and it's still happening. Keeping an eye on the activity monitor shows that even when I'm not working the amount of RAM being allocated continues to creep up. I started with 9 gig of RAM and have moved down to 4 trying to discover if it is a hardware related problem and it hasn't changed.

It's almost as if there is some kind of memory leak. Overall, I love the new update, but it's a little sluggish and needs some fine tuning.

Any thoughts or help (or commiseration) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Is Critically Low On Memory

got exactly the same problems, - usually in the context when using VI´s like Structure, Play ect... - but allso when using large instruments in Reason via Rewire..

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Hi,

I get this only when i first open a 7.4 session in PT8! once i re save as PT8 its fine.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Tried doing a "save copy as" in a fresh new PT8 session with copied audio and such - still the same problem. Thanks for the idea, though. Any more....?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

I get this after ive been opening and closing a lot of sessions.It is some kind of memory leak ,or VI's not letting go of memory after session closes.This is an issue i had on my earlier G5 2.5 dual,im still getting it on my new MacPro
im composing for Tv and have multiple sessions that i open and close in my normal workflow.And i get the "critical memory" message ,or sometimes Pro Tools8 just disappears.Frustrating when you have anyhwere up to 20 different sessions for the one project that you need to keep working on.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Avid

Can everyone experiencing this please post a list of installed plug-in versions using the Tech Support Utility from the General Troubleshooting thread?

I have a suspicion it's an old or unsupported plug-in that's the cause, but want to see for sure.

I've got a couple systems that I'm working with that contain VI's and Reason and I'm not seeing this problem, so I'd like to see what you're working with and compare notes...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can everyone experiencing this please post a list of installed plug-in versions using the Tech Support Utility from the General Troubleshooting thread?
Where's this Utility exactly? I can't find it. I'm getting that warning too.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I have a suspicion it's an old or unsupported plug-in that's the cause, but want to see for sure.

I've got a couple systems that I'm working with that contain VI's and Reason and I'm not seeing this problem, so I'd like to see what you're working with and compare notes...
Aaaahhh, - you mean this:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=30813

I can tell you right off the bat that there are NO unsupported plugs on my system - seriouslly no bs..
I have no idea how you test, but trust me, its happening when you use larger supported-up-to-date-latest-version-protools8-sertified-state-of-the-art-sampled instruments in medium-to-larger-sessions...

Cheers

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A M View Post
Aaaahhh, - you mean this:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=30813

I can tell you right off the bat that there are NO unsupported plugs on my system - seriouslly no bs..
I have no idea how you test, but trust me, its happening when you use larger supported-up-to-date-latest-version-protools8-sertified-state-of-the-art-sampled instruments in medium-to-larger-sessions...

Cheers
Ok, but which ones exactly? When you load the instruments are you watching your RAM usage and, if so, what's happening with it? Do you notice that doing any particular things makes the RAM usage go up? I'm running several VI's and samplers here and haven't noticed issues until I actually get to the point of using all available RAM...but that would be normal.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, but which ones exactly? When you load the instruments are you watching your RAM usage and, if so, what's happening with it? Do you notice that doing any particular things makes the RAM usage go up? I'm running several VI's and samplers here and haven't noticed issues until I actually get to the point of using all available RAM...but that would be normal.
(I got 8 gigs of ram) intel quad, 4 discs ect... Anyway.
- an almost sure way of doing this is to have Structure in the session with some instruments loaded and use Reason via rewire. Load one of the Abbey Road pianos (granted they are large) and the try change an instrument in Structure...

Using Ivory and Structure is also a sure way of eventually getting the error.

If you have any good idea if something can be done I would be greatfull..

In 7.4.2 you could run into it with Velvet, - dont seem to be a prob in 8 tho..

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org