Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Amazing, so we have two different answers publically from Avid on the same day. I have submitted a support ticket asking this question. The Facebook post is still up with the other answer.
Teej, I would say this ...
1) The source I’m quoting from is Avid’s official announcement here in the Licensing and Accounts section of the DUC.
2) At the bottom of the email I received at 17:52 (UK time) today from Avid, which officially informs me of “Upcoming price adjustments”, the link it provides for people wanting more information is .... the Licensing and Accounts section of the DUC, not facebook.
3) This would not be the first time that erroneous information has found its way onto the street via facebook.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Who are the people that "prefer" this? Not counting the executives at Avid.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Who are the people that "prefer" this? Not counting the executives at Avid.
Sure as hell not me. I've been a lifelong Pro Tools user but after the last few years of no significant changes and constant price gouging, I'm looking into alternative DAWs.
Interfaces: Tascam US-1800, M-Audio Fastrack Pro, AxeFX II
---------
http://www.poparad.com
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Teej, I would say this ...
1) The source I’m quoting from is Avid’s official announcement here in the Licensing and Accounts section of the DUC.
2) At the bottom of the email I received at 17:52 (UK time) today from Avid, which officially informs me of “Upcoming price adjustments”, the link it provides for people wanting more information is .... the Licensing and Accounts section of the DUC, not facebook.
3) This would not be the first time that erroneous information has found its way onto the street via facebook.
Sure, however the Facebook post is from Tope Domingo who seems to work for Avid as some kind of communities manager...it's not a complete rando post.

That version of the Q/A includes one extra question and is worded somewhat differently. Pro Tools Expert reported on the Facebook post saying it was Avid releasing information directly and are currently quoting that release, not the one on the DUC. It seems Avid have two press releases circulating with conflicting information, and while the e-mail suggests to believe the one on the DUC, many people at this point will have only seen the one on Facebook or on Pro Tools Expert. What a mess.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 AM

I just updated my perpetual vanilla for $99($130CND). It was good until March 2020, now it's up to March 2021.... If things do not change drastically between now and then, this will be the last dime I spend on Avid anything.

I have been a user since 2002, and even though it has been difficult at times to support this company, I have. This is a bridge too far for me, I was able to buy a full Cubase 10 Pro license for just over $200 Canadian last month, the fact that Avid want more than that each year, for software that they hardly improve is absolute GARBAGE!

Every time I think Avid will pull it's head out of it's ass, they show me they are still capable of shoving it even further up there.

Laptop
13.6.4 MBP 2019 16" 2.3 i9

Desktop
13.6.4 M1 Max Mac Studio
32 Core
64GB Unified Memory
UA Apollo X4
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee_Cruncher View Post
I just updated my perpetual vanilla for $99($130CND). It was good until March 2020, now it's up to March 2021.... If things do not change drastically between now and then, this will be the last dime I spend on Avid anything.

I have been a user since 2002, and even though it has been difficult at times to support this company, I have. This is a bridge too far for me, I was able to buy a full Cubase 10 Pro license for just over $200 Canadian last month, the fact that Avid want more than that each year, for software that they hardly improve is absolute GARBAGE!

Every time I think Avid will pull it's head out of it's ass, they show me they are still capable of shoving it even further up there.

I with you my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM

And what if you choose to move from perpetual to subscription and later Avid decides to pump it subscription fee another 100%?
nd what about Avid not updating ProFools for months and months? You still have to pay to be able to run it!!!
I'm really considering moving to another DAW after 20 years using Protools... But... who cares...
Old 06-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Sure, however the Facebook post is from Tope Domingo who seems to work for Avid as some kind of communities manager...it's not a complete rando post.

That version of the Q/A includes one extra question and is worded somewhat differently. Pro Tools Expert reported on the Facebook post saying it was Avid releasing information directly and are currently quoting that release, not the one on the DUC. It seems Avid have two press releases circulating with conflicting information, and while the e-mail suggests to believe the one on the DUC, many people at this point will have only seen the one on Facebook or on Pro Tools Expert. What a mess.
It's not the first time that Avid has posted conflicting information on social media and/or via Pro Tools/Production expert.

And if it turns out that the guy who “seems to work for Avid as some kind of communities manager” has got it wrong, it would not be the first time that ..
1) an Avid employee has said something that turns out not to be true,
2) such an Avid employee disappears from public view for a while or even permanently, and
3) Avid does not honour what such an Avid employee has mistakenly said.

I know nothing of the individual you are quoting, but I do know from past experience that incorrect things do get said, and Avid has history when it comes to not honouring comments mistakenly made by its employees.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 AM

There is no way I’ll trade my perpetual Ultimate license for a subscription.
I’d leave Pro Tools instead.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM

So I can give up my Perpetual Ultimate license and pay $599/year or $719.88/year instead of the current $399.00/year.

Why would I do that? Am I missing something here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64840617_10156490513750823_8234077116799385600_n.jpg (66.6 KB, 0 views)
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.