Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 10:18 AM

Default MIDI double notes on everything

So I'm trying to get my Kurzweil and PTLE to get along, mixed results so far. Biggest problem at the moment: I set up a new MIDI channel and new aux return for the audio. When I record-enable the MIDI channel, I get double notes on everything I play.

On the K2vx, I've got local keyboard channel receive set to "none" and still have the problem. AnybodY?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-26-2002, 11:58 AM

Default Re: MIDI double notes on everything

Try just recording the midi first. THEN make an aux..to monitor the midi.

If by double notes you mean..you "hear" 2 notes...this could simplly be the latency between the midi and aux track that you are monitoring at the same time.

I've got a k2vx...and it works perfectly. I'm monitoring thru a mackie mixer...have output from K2 running into mixer..and have channels to and from AMIII card going into the mixer. After I record a midi track..I make an aux...and hit record..and it records the audio outputs of the K2vx.

When thats done...and I now have a midi track..and an audio track...if I leave them both in playmode...the latency between them is enough to make it sound as though there is a slap back ..and could be described as a "double" note.

After I record my midi tracks to audio...I mute the midi tracks...only going back to them..if I need to make changes to the track (which I then record over the audio).

The latency between audio and midi in PT is just bad enough...that I never would attempt to use midi and audio tracks together..as it would never be consistent.

Im not quite sure this is your problem...but try recording the midi track first...then make an aux..and record the midi track to audio. Then mute the midi track..and play back the audio track..to see if your getting double notes.

You don't wont' both the monitored midi track..and audio track..happening at the same time. The latency would kill you.

dcornutt
Old 02-26-2002, 02:58 PM

local control
Old 02-26-2002, 02:59 PM

Ah,
Yes Kalle is right...you need to turn local control off. On the front of your K2..theres a small button that says MIDI. Hit that..then use the up down arrows and scroll while...to change the control setting from "local" or "both"..to midi only.

That should do it.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys for your collective wisdom!

I'll give it a try and let you know.

michael [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 12:26 AM

Thanks for your help. I'm actually running straight from the K2vx into the Digi 001 rack unit, and monitoring from the Digi 001's main stereo buss. It seems that my keyboard is triggering notes, and that the MIDI is coming back in from PTLE and playing the same notes. If I de-select "Midi Through" on PTLE I don't get anything on the meter of the MIDI channel strip...

But I do like your idea of burning an audio version of a MIDI track for monitoring purposes...

FWIW both the K2vx and PTLE are new additions. I'm a guitarist who was sequencing on an ancient Korg M-1 until this month (only for home demos, nothing more). So I don't know which machine holds the key to this puzzle...
Old 02-27-2002, 12:33 AM

Try turning "local control" off on your keyboard... or record without your midi in cable patched in to the keyboard, connect when listening back...
Old 02-27-2002, 10:37 AM

yep, sure enough.

Finally, getting back to making music. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]