Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2000, 11:59 AM

Default Apdatec 39160?

Digi- Have you or will you test the PowerDomain 39160 (MIX System)? I called Apdatec today and this card is G4 compliant. Experiences I've had with the ATTO cards is not favorable. So I want to get an alternative.
Old 03-01-2000, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Apdatec 39160?

IT WOULD BE NICE TO GET AN ANSWER FROM THE POWERS THAT MAY BE!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2000, 02:01 PM

We are currently testing this card.

Can you explain your "unfavorable" experiences with the ATTO cards?

------------------
--Steve Rosenthal, Digidesign ETS
Old 03-03-2000, 01:39 PM

THANK YOU,STEVE!!!! I really hope this card tests out OK. I'm sure this is Adaptec's answer to the ATTO card. Could you E-mail me as soon as the testing been done? I want to get this card A.S.A.P. Many thanks!!!

Marvin Sperling
MusicWorks Entertainment
Old 03-09-2000, 10:17 AM

Steve, can you give me an ETA on the testing?
Old 03-09-2000, 02:46 PM

Hi Steve, Thank for your response. As far as my experiences. My partner & I have have a PT MIX system on a G3/300 beige using an Adaptec 2940UW card. This rig flys. I also fleelance in other ProTools studios which have updated to the G3 B/W's and the ATTO card. They all have lagged response and the famous 9073 & 6042 errors appear. Our rig does not do this!! Also I personally have a G3/300 which I had to configure for video editing and post using an ATTO card. Once I hooked the ProTools system I was getting 9073 errors!!!!
I make some chnges in the ATTO Protools control panel which made things better but I experienced the same lag of response as the other G3 b/w with ATTO card's systems. I'm using the same PT rig, the only the difference is the G3 and the ATTO card. The B/W's are suppose to be fast, so I'm eliminating that from the equation. So it boils down to the ATTO. I know your company is planning to distribute the ATTO so I wonder if there's politics involved. I'm sure Adaptec has lost alot of sales because the your reccomendation of the ATTO card but I think it's fair that you get Adaptec to cooperate. I just think they make a better product.
Old 03-09-2000, 02:47 PM

Hi Steve, Thank for your response. As far as my experiences. My partner & I have have a PT MIX system on a G3/300 beige using an Adaptec 2940UW card. This rig flys. I also fleelance in other ProTools studios which have updated to the G3 B/W's and the ATTO card. They all have lagged response and the famous 9073 & 6042 errors appear. Our rig does not do this!! Also I personally have a G3/300 which I had to configure for video editing and post using an ATTO card. Once I hooked the ProTools system I was getting 9073 errors!!!!
I make some chnges in the ATTO Protools control panel which made things better but I experienced the same lag of response as the other G3 b/w with ATTO card's systems. I'm using the same PT rig, the only the difference is the G3 and the ATTO card. The B/W's are suppose to be fast, so I'm eliminating that from the equation. So it boils down to the ATTO. I know your company is planning to distribute the ATTO so I wonder if there's politics involved. I'm sure Adaptec has lost alot of sales because the your reccomendation of the ATTO card but I think it's fair that you get Adaptec to cooperate. I just think they make a better product.
Old 03-09-2000, 03:31 PM

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your response.

Without knowing the specific cards in use and the settings on the cards, it's hard for me to assess what's really going on with those systems. My experience tells me it's usually a configuration problem.

Can you elaborate on "lagged response?" Are you using HFS+ volumes or HFS? If you're using HFS+, that could be the culprit. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to eliminate the B&W from the equation. Although the processor speed is much faster, the entire motherboard design is very different from the Beige G3s. Did you ever try the ATTO card in the Beige? What were your results?

I'm interested in your experiences (and those of other users) because it can help in troubleshooting and improving performance. Sorry to say, there's no politics involved.

We will continue to work with Adaptec, test their cards and post our qualification results, since we know there are many users -- such as yourself -- who have a preference.

Thanks again for your observations.

------------------
Old 03-09-2000, 09:18 PM

Marvin - FWIW, I use a B&W G3/350 with the ATTO card and a PT Mix system. Regularly running 32 tracks of 24 bit data with thousands of edits - not a hiccup for the last 6 months.

rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-10-2000, 12:05 AM

Marvin,

I don't have an ETA at this point. We've got a pretty large grid to get through.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, Marvin, but I'd really like to know what your problems were with the ATTO cards. Perhaps you might have useful information that would bear on our testing.

Please indulge me.

Thanks.

------------------