How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Default I/O Issues with Pro Tools 11.2.2 and a Shure PG42 Mic

Hello, wise friends–

I plugged my Shure PG42 USB mic into my MacBook while I had Pro Tools open. Since the input was still coming from the internal MacBook mic after I attached it, I Googled some things—since I'm new-ish to Pro Tools. Following the advice of redditors and others, I went to Setup->I/O Setup. Voilá, I could see the Shure mic there as an input and output option.

Here's where the trouble began: I clicked the Shure mic as an input and output on the two tabs and then selected default at the bottom of each window (assuming incorrectly that that meant to make the Shure mic the default input/output). I hit okay for each, and I've never seen the Shure mic as an input/output option again inside Pro Tools (see attached).

I realized after reading more that what I did was default the inputs to their original or prior settings (at least I think that's the functionality).

I've attached some other relevant screenshots.

My question: how do I get the mic back? It once was found and now is lost.
Thx.

Things that I've already done to no avail:
-Update the driver (n/a, the mic is driverless)
-Turn off/restart the computer
-Unplug the mic (and restart the computer)
-Open a new session
-See if my MacBook still recognizes the mic just fine in the MIDI settings for OS: yes, it does
-Delete all the inputs, outputs, and buses and hit default: I still can't see the Shure mic again as an input/output option
-Open the mix window to select the Shure mic as an input for a track: it's not there (I only went there after I made the mic go poof—who knows if it was there before)

My hardware and software deets:

-Pro Tools 11.2.2
-High Sierra 10.13.4
-MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
-Shure PG42 Mic
Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Re: I/O Issues with Pro Tools 11.2.2 and a Shure PG42 Mic

This is resolved.

I figured this out for anyone who comes across this problem in the future: I had to create a new aggregate device in the Audio MIDI setup window in OS. Since Shure creates two selections in the menu (one for input and one for output), you have to combine them into one. Once I selected the new aggregate option for my playback engine in Pro Tools, I was able to delete the old inputs and outputs and default the correct i/o.