Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 07-13-2014, 10:28 AM

Default A couple beginner questions

Hey everyone,

I apologize for this novice nature of this question but I have been wasting a lot of time trying to figure it out and I am getting nowhere.

I recorded a 2 hour set from a band. Say I want to strip out just one song from that set to work on. I have already separated that song as its own region and I stripped out the rest of the music. Pro Tools still seems to think that the session is 2 hours long. Is there a way to tell it that this session is now only 4 minutes long?

The other problem, and a bigger one, and maybe it's related, is that with the selector tool I can't select a specific spot within the waveform. The selector tool only falls on 1 second intervals but I need to select spaces between the seconds to pinpoint what I need to edit. I didn't have this problem last time I edited a song so I assume it's just a setting but I have no idea what.

Thanks for the help

Pro Tools 11
MacBook Pro
Old 07-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Re: A couple beginner questions

Question 1: I'm guessing that when you say PT thinks the session is 4 hours long, you mean that the 4 minute song (region) you isolated is like 4 hours down the edit window grid. If that's the case, you should be able to just grab the region and slide it down to the beginning of the edit window grid. You can grab the region with the grabber tool. It's at the top of the edit window and looks like a hand.

Question 2: You're in "grid" edit mode, which makes your cursor skip certain intervals in the edit window. Look in your upper left hand corner, and you should see 4 boxes that say "shuffle", "slip", "spot", and "grid". See attachment for pic. Click "slip." This stands for slip edit mode. It let's you click on those spots in between you're trying to get to.

Hope I've helped.

Audio interface: Behringer Xenyx Q802USB

CPU: Raptor Z55 SKYLAKE by Velocity Micro
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K, 4-core @ 4.0 GHz
DDR4 Memory: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 MHz (4 x 8GB)
Hard Drive 1: 525 GB Crucial MX300 Solid State Drive
Hard Drive 2: 3TB 7200rpm SATA 600 with 64MB Cache
Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 AM

here's that attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: png shuffle, spot, slip, grid.png (11.5 KB, 0 views)

Audio interface: Behringer Xenyx Q802USB

CPU: Raptor Z55 SKYLAKE by Velocity Micro
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K, 4-core @ 4.0 GHz
DDR4 Memory: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 MHz (4 x 8GB)
Hard Drive 1: 525 GB Crucial MX300 Solid State Drive
Hard Drive 2: 3TB 7200rpm SATA 600 with 64MB Cache
Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing that when you say PT thinks the session is 4 hours long, you mean that the 4 minute song (region) you isolated is like 4 hours down the edit window grid.
Actually I did drag the song to the beginning of the timeline, but for instance, if I were to bounce the entire session, it would try to make a 2 hour song out of it even though only the first 4 minutes are used. I know I can highlight just a section to bounce but it's just an example of what I am saying. I guess it's not that big a deal. I though that maybe the limited cursor positioning had something to do with the session being so lengthy but not an issue.

Thanks for the info on the edit modes. Had no idea what those were for.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 AM

Did you "Hide" the unwanted recording? Or did you delete it?
If the region is still in the playlist, then PT will assume that the session is as long as that clip.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Did you "Hide" the unwanted recording? Or did you delete it?
I did delete the unused portion of the session
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM

It's been a while, but IIRC I did a "split" on every track right where I wanted the song to end, then deleted the parts I didn't want.

This reset the "session" length to the actual length of the song.

I think I did this in Pro Tools, but if not, you got a free Cubase or Reaper tip!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Depending on what version of Pro Tools you're using, you could have left automation edit points "out there" where stuff once was, or when you made the cut.

Select the whole session to display (Alt+A) and then go through the automation lanes and see if something's out there.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Select the whole session to display (Alt+A) and then go through the automation lanes and see if something's out there.
I agree. I think you'll probably find a volume automation point at the end of the deleted region.
At least I hope it's as simple as that...