Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Starting a freshy!

Starting a brand new show file with a band going on IEMs for the very first time.
Would anyone recommend starting with the 48 channel monitor demo show that is in the default filling? Make show mods off that as I go and save as from there...?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Starting a freshy!

Just a personal preference, but I prefer starting from scratch, it's good practice and it helps avoid surprises. I like to do "clear console" and go from there. Multi-select is your friend, makes config fast and easy.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Just a personal preference, but I prefer starting from scratch, it's good practice and it helps avoid surprises. I like to do "clear console" and go from there. Multi-select is your friend, makes config fast and easy.
Me in the other hand absolutely hate starting from a scratch. There is so many little things you can configure to make the desk your own, starting from scratch would be like a nightmare for me Because of that, I try to constantly improve a personal file that would fit as many of my typical but different scenarios as possible. I have found it to be quite possible to dive into a completely new situation and be up and running in just couple of minutes if I have my show file prepared - 99% kick is a kick, snare is a snare, lead vocals always work great with the same chain of plugins and FX rack is great to have already filled with what I know sounds decent. Not to mention the Function key assignments for Tap delay to Pro Tools control, Events to trigger Flip To Faders, ect, ect. Since I love to work with certain mics I have a Snapshot stored for Preamp settings so that when I re-patch the stage inputs to match my *default* show file even the gains are pretty much where I would like to have them :) And in-ear mixes. I label them Drummer mix, Bassist mix etc, where they have accordingly a little bit of more "me" in there, that way, I'm happy to say, even in-ear mixes have a reasonable balance from scratch.

To the OP, check the Avid default files and see if they suite your needs. I must admit I have never loaded the default show files myself... And don't forget you can create your own basic setup files on a standalone software as well.. even labeling the inputs can save you a bunch of valuable minutes
Old 08-13-2015, 02:10 PM

To clarify, the approach I described assumes you are in a non-time sensitive situation, starting offline or in shop prep room. If I have to throw and go I always come prepared. Kristo's advice is extremely good if you are diving in at a festival or something, but if you are designing a tour system, you should be spending plenty of time prepping your file, in which case I prefer to start from zero, but there are many ways to skin a cat. If you have certain workflow items you always use, you could always design your own basic template, but my personal preference is always a fresh start, I just feel it helps me find new workflows and think twice before relying on the same techniques for every gig. Again, that's just me, you'll have to find what works best for you. Best of luck!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Hey Brent, I think you should make a couple of monitor templates for Avid to include!!!!
8 gig ram
FW Drives (Multiple)
eSATA Drives (Multiple)

[email protected]
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM

And give away my best kept tricks?

JK, maybe I'll post one here in a couple days. Gotta get through Red Rocks first