Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Default S3 only compatible with Maverick OSX

I have a problem I'm betting a few others have run into. I've been a Pro Tools user since 2007, and until now I've been on a Mac Pro (2007). However I recently purchased a new S3 Control Surface, which its system requirements call for Maverick OSX, and isn't supported on Yosemite OSX yet. So I realized I need to upgrade to a newer Mac Pro to run Maverick, my Mac Pro is too old. But unfortunately new and refurbished Macs come configured with Yosemite. I know many of you are thinking "no big deal, get a Maverick OSX installer disc and downgrade the system". I thought that as well. However after talking at length with Apple tech, it turns out that as of Maverick they no longer shipped install discs, you simply can't get one, not even from Apple. It's simple if the Mac you have came configured (back in 2013) with Maverick on units of the time. But if you buy a refurbished one today (even if its hardware date is from 2013) it will have Yosemite installed on it by Apple, so its useless to me. And they won't ship one configured with Maverick (why, don't ask, their just not helpful that way).

Anyone else boxed in by this one? I'm currently sitting on a brand new S3 Control Surface that is nothing more to me than a $5k door stop right now. What I'd really like to hear is that someone else ran into this and has a solution. If your solution is "wait till Avid supports Yosemite for the S3 firmware", not an option. This is a working studio and I can't 'afford' to wait for that eventuality.

I'm really shocked Avid didn't look into the compatibility issue a little deeper before releasing this hardware. I mean, there have got to be lots of Pro Tools systems running on pre-Maverick systems hoping to get an S3, and I'm pretty sure any of those studios aren't looking forward to buying an S3 that they can't get a Maverick Mac to use it.

Tell me you have a solution, and I will give you my first born (no warranty on first born, you get what you get

Steve DeMar
Demar Development Studios
new: Pro Tools S3 Control Surface (makes a very nice door stop)
OSX 10.9.4
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools S3 Control Surface
Antelope ZenStudio interface
003 Factory console interface
Dangerous Dbox analog summing
PT 11.3.1
PT 10.3.9
11GB RAM
Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Default Re: S3 only compatible with Maverick OSX

After reviewing several posts on Yosemite and the flames that has ignited here on the forums, I want to qualify my problem.

I am moving from a non-supported system (Mac Pro 2007) up to something that works with my new S3 and PT 11. Up till now I've been happily working in PT 10 with an 003 Factory as my control surface. But I bit the bullet and decided to move up to the S3 to improve workflow and a Zen Studio to improve AD/DA and clock.

But I note that Yosemite is not 'qualified' for the S3 currently and further didn't realize that you can't buy a Maverick based Mac today (unless you are lucky enough to find one used that hasn't been upgraded). So it puts me in the position of having to move to another Mac no matter what.

So can I ask if any of you are currently using Yosemite, PT 11, and an S3 successfully? I don't really care about the AVB interface, just the control surface features. That's all, just does it work (and if you have caveats, please elaborate). I'm stuck and need to buy some kind of new Mac system to use my S3 (or sell the S3).

Thanks,
Steve DeMar
OSX 10.9.4
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools S3 Control Surface
Antelope ZenStudio interface
003 Factory console interface
Dangerous Dbox analog summing
PT 11.3.1
PT 10.3.9
11GB RAM
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM

S3 Works well on Yosemite.

HDX 11.3
Yosemite
Mac Pro 2010
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
S3 Works well on Yosemite.

HDX 11.3
Yosemite
Mac Pro 2010
As far as I am aware there is no Eucon software available for Yosemite is there ?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362200

Kyle says so here

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemar View Post
I have a problem I'm betting a few others have run into. I've been a Pro Tools user since 2007, and until now I've been on a Mac Pro (2007). However I recently purchased a new S3 Control Surface, which its system requirements call for Maverick OSX, and isn't supported on Yosemite OSX yet. So I realized I need to upgrade to a newer Mac Pro to run Maverick, my Mac Pro is too old. But unfortunately new and refurbished Macs come configured with Yosemite. I know many of you are thinking "no big deal, get a Maverick OSX installer disc and downgrade the system". I thought that as well. However after talking at length with Apple tech, it turns out that as of Maverick they no longer shipped install discs, you simply can't get one, not even from Apple. It's simple if the Mac you have came configured (back in 2013) with Maverick on units of the time. But if you buy a refurbished one today (even if its hardware date is from 2013) it will have Yosemite installed on it by Apple, so its useless to me. And they won't ship one configured with Maverick (why, don't ask, their just not helpful that way).

Anyone else boxed in by this one? I'm currently sitting on a brand new S3 Control Surface that is nothing more to me than a $5k door stop right now. What I'd really like to hear is that someone else ran into this and has a solution. If your solution is "wait till Avid supports Yosemite for the S3 firmware", not an option. This is a working studio and I can't 'afford' to wait for that eventuality.

I'm really shocked Avid didn't look into the compatibility issue a little deeper before releasing this hardware. I mean, there have got to be lots of Pro Tools systems running on pre-Maverick systems hoping to get an S3, and I'm pretty sure any of those studios aren't looking forward to buying an S3 that they can't get a Maverick Mac to use it.

Tell me you have a solution, and I will give you my first born (no warranty on first born, you get what you get

Steve DeMar
Do you have a friend with a MacBook or Mac or IMac etc ?

You could download Mavericks to his system and not install put it on a thumb drive and install from that onto the new Mac :)

Currently I am ready to make the jump to Yosemite but as far as I know eucon and the S3 is not supported at all.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
Adams A77x
Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM

Eucon 3.2.1 works on Yosemite.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Eucon 3.2.1 works on Yosemite.
Works and is supported ?

Or

Works but not supported ?

If it's suported I will be right on it myself.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
Adams A77x
Old 01-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Works. Not officially supported doesn't mean doesn't work.

Make sure to update the XML file.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemar View Post

Steve DeMar
Hey Steve,

I can totally emphasize with your situation and I'm sorry you are blocked right now. If you are looking at a brand new Mac, then you are probably forced to run Yosemite. But, if you can find a newer machine on the used market that supports Mavericks that could be an option for an immediate solution. Of course, it depends on your preference for new vs used machines. One more thing, I know you mentioned you don't plan on using AVB. However, if there is a chance that may change make sure you purchase a Mac with Thunderbolt as those are the Macs which support AVB.

Regarding OS compatibility, we are focusing qualification on Mavericks and higher largely because of the included AVB support in Mavericks+. It's also a free upgrade for those on older operating systems. Mountain Lion (10.8) should work for control surface functionality, but its not officially qualified. FYI, EuControl 3.1+ supports 10.8 and higher.

Regarding Yosemite, EuControl is not officially supported yet. But, we are working on it and will get it out as soon as we can. As with any unqualified software, some may experience issues and some may not. We just can't recommended upgrading until we have a EuControl release that is fully-qualified with Yosemite.

Let us know how things progress.

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Mountain Lion (10.8) should work for control surface functionality, but its not officially qualified. FYI, EuControl 3.1+ supports 10.8 and higher.
10.8.5. is not qualified?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Compatibility

I am confused...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB