Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Moved sessions to a folder, files can\'t be found

Help! We had 8 sessions saved to the desktop on a Mac's power G-4 HD, we moved all of the sessions folders to a a new folder in order to create room on the desk top, now the sessions are missing alot of audio files leaving the ghosted like blue color on the tracks that are missing files, when trying to re-link can't find the files that is looking for,and all of them appear off line, When we move the session to its the original place (desk top) more files disapear!!! this mess was created I believe because the audio files, fade files, session icons, and gain files became all mixed withing it's folder. I have a great big problem that I can't solve for my client and
don't know what else to try, I have looked in and out every were and came back with no answer, they most be there some were, it most be a way. I'm thinking about a data recovery shop. Please advice??? Digdi...???
Kenny Q
Old 11-30-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Moved sessions to a folder, files can\'t be found

a) Never create sessions on the desktop

b) Use Save Session Copy In... in the File menu in Pro Tools to save sessions to a new location.

Odds are you didn't copy all the files required.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM

try "Relink" in the project Browser and manually find the links.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-30-2004, 07:34 PM

you make a mess, you should not save sessions in desktop,
open the audio files folders, you'll have to see if you have all your audio files, if you named the regions as you recorded them and you know wich audio files correspond to wich sessions its one step, then open your session and try relink and find the links manualy (from the files you allready know were they are), then save session as, and save it in ext. hd.
if you don't know wich files correspond to wich session. then open your session, go to region list, all your missing audios should be in these kind of characters that are inclinated don't know how they are called. when you clic on a missing audio and it would highlite the missing area. take note how its called. then localize the folder they are in. then do the relink thing. if you can't. import those audios and put them by hand in the corresponding area (the blue areas, that you should not delete 'cause they'll tell you were to put exactly your audios. hope it didn't cause you bigger confusion. hope you understand my english. poor of you my friend, its learning the hard way.

and remeber not to save it in the desk or the systems hd were you have pt installed, read your manual
Old 12-01-2004, 12:09 PM

I had the same problem..minus the desktop...its a big hassle..so I'd take the adivce of when ever you need to move a session..open it...make sure all files are linked..and save a copy to the new location...Otherwise, some files will get written to old session locations or if you trashed an old session and its in the trash, it might get written to the trash. Save a copy will find all the files and put them into one audio files folder...This is the easiest way (even if you aren't moving the session) to make sure everything is where you'd expect it to be.

My solution to my old problem...maunually found some tracks...didn't find others...had to re overdub and also used part of a bounce from before to replace the missing files..just luck it all worked out the long and hard way.

But ever mistake prevents a future catastrophy!!

Good luck

John