Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Avid s1 with Control Desktop

Yes I hear you , they are cheap and hassle free . But then again , a separate dedicated workstation running dedicated screens built into a custom desk starts to sound more like a S6 or S4 if you blimps what I mean.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:41 PM

I notice this is an old post but elected to chime
in anyway since i was kinda annoyed with how
@allbee1952 couldn't fully understand and easily
responds to such a simple question. Man i hate when
a person ask a question about a specific
thing and folks appear to intentionally fully or partially ignore
the question and respond with answers that ends up steering the person in a different direction or to other products.

I will be purchasing 3 Avid S1's and three 14" touch screen portable
monitor to use with Avid Control Desktop.
The monitors have USB-C ports.

I will be experimenting with OWC Thunderbolt Hub(5 ports).

Enough time have past since your posting
so i assumed u were successful with your idea.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:47 PM

Hello Jarrex,
Have you had success?
I've been using 3 tablets that align perfectly (galaxy tab s7+) but it's very frustrating to use tablets for that (much more expensive, using computing power for nothing, have to press on them everyday to unlock their screen and lock their screen) and EUCON is not always connecting properly. So I understand 100% your research.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:20 PM

I was looking at various tablet alternatives for my new Avid S1 (12" iPad, 10.5" Galaxy Tab A, and Fire HD10) and then stumbled on the Avid Control Desktop (ACD) app for Mac computers. Once I found out how it could be utilized, my search went from a tablet to small monitor.

For $120CAD after a $20 coupon on Amazon, I bought the Dopesplay Portable Monitor 14.1". It's slightly wider than the S1 but I think it looks a lot nicer than a tablet. Plus I don't have to worry about charging and turning on a separate tablet and running the Avid Control app. It just turns on when my Mac Studio is turned on and the ACD automatically opens on it.

Since it's a portable monitor with a stand, it can fit on the S1 in the space meant for a tablet but it will sit raised a bit. So I decided to flip the monitor upside down and rotate the image on the computer settings 180 degrees. This way, the larger bezel of the base is on the top. I resized the ACD app so it aligns properly with each fader channel. I also bought two "U" adapters to tuck the cables behind the monitor (one is a Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter and the other is just a USB C adapter for power).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240208_163151-TJ.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)

PT2023 on 2023 Mac Studio M2 Ultra
Apollo X8P & Twin Quad Mk2, UAD Octo Satellite, Avid Dock, Avid S1, Console 1, Digi002, 2016 MacBook Pro running PT2020
Old 02-09-2024, 06:42 AM

That's a really interesting solution. I imagine most users don't touch the S1 tablet much. If you can spare a display output.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:03 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jung View Post
I was looking at various tablet alternatives for my new Avid S1 (12" iPad, 10.5" Galaxy Tab A, and Fire HD10) and then stumbled on the Avid Control Desktop (ACD) app for Mac computers. Once I found out how it could be utilized, my search went from a tablet to small monitor.

For $120CAD after a $20 coupon on Amazon, I bought the Dopesplay Portable Monitor 14.1". It's slightly wider than the S1 but I think it looks a lot nicer than a tablet. Plus I don't have to worry about charging and turning on a separate tablet and running the Avid Control app. It just turns on when my Mac Studio is turned on and the ACD automatically opens on it.

Since it's a portable monitor with a stand, it can fit on the S1 in the space meant for a tablet but it will sit raised a bit. So I decided to flip the monitor upside down and rotate the image on the computer settings 180 degrees. This way, the larger bezel of the base is on the top. I resized the ACD app so it aligns properly with each fader channel. I also bought two "U" adapters to tuck the cables behind the monitor (one is a Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter and the other is just a USB C adapter for power).
Now just drag the plugin Window over there and they will popup when you use the S1 knobs
Old 02-09-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Now just drag the plugin Window over there and they will popup when you use the S1 knobs
I did not know that either. Now you have me thinking about this but I guess it should be okay to have the plugin window popup on top of the meter display rather than having a larger monitor to accommodate a separate spot in the display.

Apollo X8P & Twin Quad Mk2, UAD Octo Satellite, Avid Dock, Avid S1, Console 1, Digi002, 2016 MacBook Pro running PT2020
Old 02-09-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
That's a really interesting solution. I imagine most users don't touch the S1 tablet much. If you can spare a display output.
That's true. I wish there were more Thunderbolt 3/4 ports on all macs. One possible solution is getting a CalDigit dock that offers more Thunderbolt ports and DisplayPort but it's not cheap.