How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Default apple I-MAC and Pro-Tools 10.3

Hi all,

Has anyone used an I-Mac with Pro Tools 10.3? any issues?
i plan to buy an I-Mac and Mbox pro.

I plan on this configuration on the I-Mac:16GB RAM, 1 internal HDD 1TB (is 5400 rpm ok? or should I go with 7200RPM?) 1 TB 7200 RPM external WD HDD. And I guess I'll need the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adaptor for the Mbox pro. Because the IMac has no FireWire. Anybody use this? Any issues? O.S. OS X Mountain Lion

Additional specs:

Display:
21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 1920-by-1080 resolution with support for millions of colors
Processor:
2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB L3 cacheMemory:
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
Storage:
1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
Video Support and Camera:
FaceTime HD camera
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display
Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes
Audio:
Stereo speakers
Dual microphones
Headphone port
Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
Connections and Expansion
SDXC card slot
Four USB 3 ports
Two Thunderbolt ports
Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Input:
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)
Magic Mouse
Smooth, seamless Multi-Touch surface with support for simple gestures (scrolling and swiping). Click and double-click anywhere. Ambidextrous construction accommodates left- and right-handed users.
Wireless
Wi-Fi
802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;2 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Size and Weight:
Height: 17.7 inches (45.0 cm)
Width: 20.8 inches (52.8 cm)
Stand depth: 6.9 inches (17.5 cm)
Weight: 12.5 pounds (5.68 kg)
Electrical and Operating Requirements:
Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
In the Box:
iMac
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse
Power cord
Included Software:
OS X Mountain Lion

Any other suggestions? Please Help
Cheers,
Tom
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Re: apple I-MAC and Pro-Tools 10.3

Any of the current Imacs will be fine, but you will gain a lot more by going with the I7 processors, instead of the I5's. The I7's will be especially good at taking advantage of the processing features of Protools 11.

You will also do better to get more ram. If you're getting the 21 inch, you need to order the ram when you buy it. With the 27 inch, you can buy ram much cheaper after the fact and put it in yourself.

The I7 can be custom ordered with a couple of configurations from the Apple Store.

Also, whatever you choose, definitely get a 7200rpm hard drive for the internal, as well as the external, rather than the 5400. For even better performance, get an SSD for the internal drive.

As for the external drive, you didn't mention what enclosure you're using. I recommend the ones from OWC (macsales.com).
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM

As nst7 said, an SSD or 7200RPM hard drive will get you much further than a 5400RPM HD will. Definitely get a second drive for sessions and recording, later on see if you can get a third drive for loops and/or backups of OS and PT related stuff. 16GB of RAM is sufficient but I would shoot for an i7 w/32GB RAM imac if possible. You'll be fine with a FireWire to TB adapter. You can Daisy Chain other FireWire devices with the second MB3P port so you're not going to eat up both TB ports if you go the FireWire HD route.

One thing though, I believe the Ilok2 is not currently compatible with USB3 (I may be wrong) at least on the windows side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzudaddy View Post
Here is a quote from the windows installation notes from avid :

"Pro Tools does not recognize iLok connected to USB3 ports (PTSW-158204)
Texas Instruments USB3 controllers are currently incompatible with iLok generation 1 & 2 USB dongles. iLok dongles connected to a
Texas Instruments USB3 controller will not be recognized by Pro Tools or the iLok.com web site. Connect any iLok dongles to USB2
ports instead."

This issue however is not in the MAC notes.

Last edited by guatamas; 05-13-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Like Argutus, I’m also hoping to get some advice on which Mac Book Pro systems are compatible with Pro Tools V10 &V11. I’m not technically savvy by any means and from what I’ve read there can be lots of variables when it comes to customisations, all of which can be quite intimidating if it’s not familiar territory.

I’ve managed to do a bit of reading over the last few weeks, and it’s fairly evident that system compatibility a prevalent subject amongst PT users, so I set out to determine compatible systems that will accommodate V10 &V11. As a result I’ve managed to compile a long list of ‘do’s and don’ts’ when it comes to what systems to choose, however I still feel I need guidance on exactly what system to purchase. Whether it's straight from the box or a customised version.

Up until a few weeks ago I was running PT V7 LE on a Dell Precision T3400 workstation. I’ve found this PC to be fairly stable however it’s an aging system (>6 yrs), and after upgrading to an MBOX PRO using V10 &V11 a few weeks ago, I’m confronted with the reality to upgrade my system entirely.

I’ve always used a PC but I’m slowly gravitating towards the idea of possibly purchasing a MAC. From what I’ve read there powerful yet simplistic machines that run PT with ease. One that I have been deliberating over is the iMac 27" i7 Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 16GB RAM (OS X 10.8.4).

Would anyone be able to provide a list of compatible MAC systems? And are there any specific customisations I would need to make if I purchased a MAC from the box? i.e. do all MAC’s have a dual hard drive play back/ record or is this something you need to request as an add-on, would I be able to connect my iLok that I got with V10 &V11.

I’d really appreciate any advice.

Thanks for reading
Susie
Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 AM

Generally, for a PT computer, you should not accept anything less than an i7 CPU.

Even though PT10 is fine with i5 you're going to kick yourself when you go to PT11 eventually. IMO, Avid should just said that PT11 requires i7 CPU because there are strange performance problems if you have anything less than that.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
For even better performance, get an SSD for the internal drive.
Absolutely! Spinners are eating performance so settling for smaller capacity but faster SSD is always a better option, because you only need to fit the operating system, your programs and sample libraries there. Sessions to external drives as per Avid's recommendation.